Leaking towel rail at top nut

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mark Gavienas, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Mark Gavienas

Mark Gavienas New Member

Hi having trouble with water leaking from a top nut on a chrome towel radiator .I think its the heat resistant washer is this an easy job to do myself and are the washers standard size

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

If you mean the bleed screw fitting or the blanking cap (there's one or the other on the top of each 'leg', usually), you can simply try gently tightening it up a bit (clockwise) with a spanner.

If the 'O' ring that seals them is still leaking, you'll need to turn off both valves at the bottom completely, open the bleed screw to remove any pressure (and to check the valves are indeed off), and then unscrew the fitting, get a new 'O' ring, put it on, re-fit the fitting and turn the valves back on.

If your valves are the type with chromed cylindrical 'knobs' and haven't been turned off for a while, you'll probably then need to make separate post on here about 'repairing leaking towel rail radiator valves' though....

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

In my recent experience, the castings are incredibly rubbish on towel rails, with burrs, bumps, and threads nowhere near straight.

The surface the washer will sit against needs to be smooth. If it's bumpy at all then try cleaning it up with some wet and dry. Then refit a new cap and washer as said. If it's simply not straight, try some LS-X.

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The 1/2” vents and plugs for top of towel rails (and other rads) are inexpensive and would do no harm to also replace them.

5. Mark Gavienas

Mark Gavienas New Member

Thank you

6. EC1414

EC1414 Member

Hi, I have this problem too, the o ring is protruding a little and a small drip of water leaks daily, unfortunately I too have the taps at the bottom which are temperamental and need to be opened a certain amount or they leak too. Is there a general size for these o rings? Can any thing else be used to patch up the o ring rather than replacing and causing trouble with the taps below please.

Attached Files:

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

You can get new bleed plugs in a merchant for about a pound. Also see my previous post above.

8. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I always wrap the threads and O ring with PTFE tape or alternatively there is a locktite thread seal liquid which will seal the threads as well. The latter is quite expensive for a one-off though.

Heat likes this.
  9. EC1414

EC1414 Member

Hi, I have this problem too, the o ring is protruding a little and a small drip of water leaks daily, unfortunately I too have the taps at the bottom which are temperamental and need to be opened a certain amount or they leak too. Is there a general size for these o rings? Can any thing else be used to patch up the o ring rather than replacing and causing trouble with the taps below please.

Attached Files:

10. EC1414

EC1414 Member

11. EC1414

EC1414 Member

Thank you.

12. EC1414

EC1414 Member

Are they a standard size? If I close taps t the bottom, turn heating off and bleed out any pressure should this then be ok to remove the bleed plug and replace?

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, they are 1/2” threads and standard. Just install as you describe

EC1414 likes this.
  14. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Put a thin smear of hand soap (if you can get any at present...ahem) on the 'O' ring before you fit the new bleed fitting. It stops the 'O' ring picking up and getting distorted as you finally nip it up.

EC1414 likes this.
  15. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

16. EC1414

EC1414 Member

17. RHB

RHB New Member

I have a similar problem. I’ve replaced the fitting and used PTFE tape but I still have a small leak the washer seems to bulge out as the radiator heats up. I have added a picture this is the old fitting but the new one is doing much the same but thankfully not as bad

Attached Files:

18. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

That looks odd. You shouldn't really need any tape as the O ring should be enough. Could you be over-tightening it?

Could you upload a pic from a bit further back. I can't quite make out what I'm looking at.

19. RHB

RHB New Member

This is before I put the PTFE tape on. I only finger tightened it and then gave it a bit extra with a wrench, it doesn’t seem to leak until the radiator gets hot. It’s heating electrically via the element which is on the other side. This is top right of the towel rail and there is a bleeder screw in the top as well.

Attached Files: