Exploding shower cubicle

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by EMcG, Mar 14, 2020.

1. EMcG

EMcG Member

It’s after 4am and around half an hour ago I was woken up by the sound of the glass shower screen in the bathroom exploding (it was so loud I actually thought the tiles had all fallen off the roof!). It must’ve gone with such a bang it even blew the shower door open.

Has this happened to anyone else? It’s the frameless side panel part of the pivot door shower cubicle and thankfully with it being in the middle of the night no one was in the bathroom at the time. It just went without warning, it had no damage or anything.

We got it from Screwfix maybe five years ago and have been really happy with it, in fact I was hoping to replace the bifold door cubicle in the en suite with another one of these from Screwfix but they are out of stock.

Can’t sleep now as it sounds like rain inside the house while all the little bits of glass keep tinkling down!

Attached Files:

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Poltergeist

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Has the glass had a knock recently or been under tension maybe pinched by a screw etc or perhaps fitted incorrectly.

4. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Apparently not uncommon, google it, also a post on here from a few years ago,
    E1503A2D-F616-4BD6-9F89-19EC80378BB5.jpeg

5. EMcG

EMcG Member

Hi, no it’s been installed for around five years all fine and dandy, and no incidents that I know of.

6. EMcG

EMcG Member

Thanks, yes I couldn’t sleep after it all went off and although I didn’t find this post I did find lots of other stories about the same thing! I’d worried it might be something to do with the particular cubicle I’d bought from Screwfix, but it seems it’s just one of those things.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You must be shattered

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

There is no point in getting cut up about it, best to just pick up the pieces and move on! :D

koolpc likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

That 'cracked' me up!

Astramax likes this.
  10. EMcG

EMcG Member

My husband keeps moaning that it’s going to be a proper ‘pane’, but I think he’s just being bad ‘tempered’. :D

Astramax, WillyEckerslike and koolpc like this.
  11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Happened to friends of ours - been installed for years then suddenly, bang, it had gone.

My gym has some toughened glass panels - about 3 x 1.2 m and they arrived one morning to find one totally shattered. They watched the CCTV recording - there was nothing happening, no-one there, or anything and it just suddenly went.

EMcG likes this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

He needs to toughen up a little... Actually though, it's nice that you shard this with us...

Astramax and EMcG like this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

All will become crystal clear in the end! :rolleyes:

WillyEckerslike and EMcG like this.
  14. EMcG

EMcG Member

It’s a sickener really, we were actually wanting to replace the other shower cubicle, I really liked this one!

15. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Well if you really like it? Just go ahead & replace it like for like, after all it’s proved to be a smashing piece of kit:)

EMcG likes this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite!

EMcG likes this.