Terracotta floor tiles cleaning / sealing

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by paddyb2, Mar 15, 2020.

1. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

I have recently had a new kitchen put in. I was going to have a laminate floor put down, but after the builders removed two previous laminate floors, we found the original terracotta tile floor, which I much preferred to laminate. They cleaned it with some acid stuff, but the tiles still have marks on them and I guess they need vanishing or something to protect them? I’ve attached pictures showing the marks close up, what they look like dry and finally what they look like wet, which is what I’m after - the marks don’t show so much and they go better with my kitchen if they are a little darker and shinier.

There seems to be a bewildering range of tile cleaning and sealing products, could somebody recommend to best products and methods to achieve the results I’m after please? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look no further than LTP GrimeX cleaner an LTP GrimeX sealer, real easy product to use, cleans all the muck off and the sealer provides an as new finish but do follow the instruction's re dilution rates.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

Thanks. Will it get rid of the blotches you can see in the first pic (they seem very ingrained)? Will the sealer give them a darker / shinier finish?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In the Search box put in Cleaning & Sealing Victorian Floor Tiles, posted by Mkol on 30th May 2019. look at the pics. ;)

I don't know how to add the link.........anybody?

5. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

Thanks. Yes, second pic looks like what I'm after!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1st picture is after cleaning and 2nd picture is after 3 coats of satin sealer, can be sealed with 3 coats in an afternoon as it dries remarkably quick for a waterbase product.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A 1 litre container of each will be more than enough and will see costs of circa £35 in total. Bought mine from a local tile retail company also available on ebay.

8. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

Can you post links to ebay listing for each product please? There seem to be several Grimex products, so just want to make sure I get the right one. My kitchen is very small (most of the space is shown in the pic), so I would probably need less than 1/2 a litre. Will get whatever the smallest amount is.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I don't do links, you require LTP Grimex Heavy Duty Grime Remover and LTP Ironwax Satin, Wickes stock it as well.

10. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

Thanks, have ordered both from amazon.

11. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

I'm going to make a start on this today. Am unclear about a couple of things.

The grime remover recommends various dilutions from 1 part in 10 for "mild cases and on absorbent tiles" through to neat. From the pictures of my tiles, what dosage do you recommend? I think as they are unsealed they might be absorbent, so will probably start with 1 part in 10. Will this product also clean out the dirt & grime that is trapped between the tiles?

The sealer recommends applying three thin coats, then mentions that it will take about an hour to dry. So do I need to allow an hour between each coat, or an hour after all three are applied? Then it says it will take three days to fully harden and become water resistant. Does this mean I can't use my kitchen during this time?

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I used 1:4 and it worked very well, you must let this dry fully overnight otherwise you will end up with white patches trapped in the sealer, the drying times are 1 hour between each coat no sooner, to fully cure it is fine to use the kitchen during this time, remember follow the instructions and YouTube is your friend.

13. paddyb2

paddyb2 New Member

Thanks. I'll make a start on this in the week when I have time to leave between coats.