Corona virus Lockdown

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Hardware stores are on the list of essential retail outlets that can remain open, whether they do or not is of course another question.

longboat and koolpc like this.
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So, someone lives 10 miles away from work, which is a call centre where there are 100 people in the same room. That is ok?

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Wasn't aware of any list...
    Be a gent.

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

According to official government advice then yes. you see if he makes it official then all boris's friends that own conglomerate insurance companies and such like will be on the hook for massive pay outs, much better for him and his chums to make it clear as mud as usual.

I'm going to go off on a limb and have a blast from the past here but - Nick Griffin?

5. Pau

Pau Member

I have booked a company to do a large patio, some excavation work with a minidigger in the garden, etc. They suppose to start tomorrow.
    I've just got a message from asking me of the guys me if I'm willing to carry out the work.

Not really sure what to do.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am quoting from multiple national newspaper web pages and the BBC site although I have not found the list on the Government web site yet. Given that all the news agencies seem to be repeating exactly the same list I am assuming they must have a Government release.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They would be able to work from home via the computer in that instance, which is exactly the situation a friend of mine is in at the moment.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

There's a list that you haven't seen, and no one has published it because if they had you would have seen it.

What list were you referring to then?

9. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

just seen this may be of some interest to sole traders

upload_2020-3-23_23-1-41.jpeg

barbaricduck, longboat and Jord86 like this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Tactically speaking, it may be more beneficial to eat your dog first, as aside from the main dish you’ll also be left with a months worth of chicken and lamb pate and dry biscuits. Every little helps. ;)

longboat likes this.
  11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I wouldn't eat your dog, it's that type of behaviour from the Chinese that got us into this mess allegedly

gadget man and Lifty like this.
  12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

From the BBC (link) Other news outlets are using the same list. As I said I cannot find it on the Government site but that could be me. I doubt the BBC would be wrong about something so fundamental.

Only a small group of retailers will be allowed to stay open including:

• Supermarkets
    • Pharmacies
    • Newsagents
    • Hardware stores
    • Banks
    • Pet shops
    • Post Offices
    • Petrol stations
    • Vets
    • Retail shops in hospitals
    • Laundrettes
    • Funeral homes

longboat likes this.
  13. peter palmer

In some circumstances? - yea if you've got some kind of made up affliction probably.

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Travis Perkins plc Group has closed with the entire group down with immediate effect. I think everything else will by tomorrow.jmo

Stay at home

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Apologies, Muzungu.
    Did a search and found it.
    BBC News - Coronavirus: All non-essential shops to close immediately
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915

Looks like b & poo will close their doors very shortly though so I wonder if screwfix and ts will follow suit?
    How would the negligence claims unfold if some of their staff contracted the virus whilst at the work place?

Pete? What's the word from above!

Muzungu likes this.
  16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Chicken and lamb pate?
    Good God man, he's not a Cesar dog.
    What he is, is a dog looking very sheepish under the kitchen table at the moment.
    He somehow appears to know what I'm typing.

Apparently, fear adds to the flavour.

Here, boy.
    :oops:

Joe the Plumber and Jord86 like this.
  17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Seriously?
    That's TP, wickes and TS.

18. peter palmer

You know people talk of this as a bad thing but would going back to life like it was in the 12 century be so bad? nobody cared what colour wattle and daub you had on your walls. I think it would be amazing actually.

koolpc and longboat like this.
  19. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

B&Q closed tomorrow

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's mum's funeral tomorrow and if looks like there will only be my brothers and I and one of the eight grandchildren - church, burial, home again.

It's sad that it's like this but I count myself lucky that she died of natural causes, suddenly and without any discomfort unlike those that this virus has taken.

It's not going to be easy for some of us in the coming weeks and months but the reality is that it's undoubtedly going to be worse for many many more.

We should be thinking of them at this time and not ourselves.