Door handle off and can't refit

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Vin B, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Vin B

Vin B Member

Hi All,

Made a few slip ups when I was fitting door handle on to new door, and it's come back to bite me, as someone's enthusiastic pulling of the handle has made it eventually come loose.

Can't screw in deeper as the metal box of the lock part is there, but now the screws have no grip.

Wondered about filling with a strong glue and screws into that, but then it's never coming off I imagine. But can't think of much else?

Cheers for any suggestions and hope everyone's keeping well.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Use the bolt through screw fixings that would have come with the handles.

3. Vin B

Vin B Member

I did toy with that, but I'd have to drill through the metal lock unit in the door? Unfortunately I fitted one of the bigger mortice type units rather than a separate tubular latch and lock which would have been better in hindsight

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Carefully drill holes where screws want to be and insert and glue appropriate size rawplugs, glue into position with suitable adhesive and refix

5. Vin B

Vin B Member

Ahhh nice! Many thanks to you both

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well you don’t have many feasible options, especially being an oak veneer door. Either drill through the lock and try bolt through screws, glue the handles on and run clear silicone around the edge then cover over with the rose, or change the handles for something else. Or change the lock for a latch and bolt through but you’ll have to scarf new oak into the doors lipping edge, which will be a pain trying to match the tone and grain.

7. Vin B

Vin B Member

Thanks for the options Jord. I'll take the lock out tomorow and see how drilling through would line up, if I'm lucky maybe one or or two of the holes will go through dead space in the lock to give a firm anchor see what I can do about the rest.

8. Vin B

Vin B Member

Finally got a chance today - all sorted! Needed a bit of modification to the interior of the lock to the left and right of the top spindle, but all back on with the bolt through screws and held solid!
    Cheers!

Attached Files: