Blocked soil pipe, easy fix?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by D muldoon, Mar 24, 2020.

1. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

First time here so excuse the terminology!

I have a blocked soil pipe (which runs inside the garage) which is oozing at the the top joint where the new-ish plastic pipe meets the old iron pipe. Vertical length about 3 foot. Joining this is a pipe going to the downstairs bog. I've sussed that the blockage is possibly in this vertical plastic length of pipe as when I flush the downstairs bog a few times there's no oozing at the top but when I flush the upstairs bog just once there is.

First up, am I on the right track?
    Second, if so, is there an easy fix (pressure hose from the upstairs bog?) or is this a remove/repair job? It's unlikely I can get any PPE at the moment to do this but we can always use downstairs if needs be.
    Third, am I simply way off the mark?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

PS tried to upload a photo but file size too big it seems (2.7mb). Edit, pic below now.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite down the pipe. Easy fix!

The Teach likes this.
  3. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

4. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

How many sticks, ten enough?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the upstairs loo flushing normally ,no gurgling sounds ,or water level in the pan unusually low or high after flushing ?

6. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Yes flushing normally, no issues.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Doesn't seem to be a blockage then. The cast iron doesn't appear to fit too well into the ring seal.

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Get as many buckets of water that you can in the upstairs bathroom, flush the toilet and pour in the buckets as fast as you can and keep flushing the toilet. Could also fill the bath with water so you can replenish the buckets quickly. Theory is that as the head of water builds up in the soil pipe it might blast away whatever the blockage is, worth a try otherwise its a case of cutting the soil pipe and then making good.

Heat and D muldoon like this.
  9. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

10. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Ok so I tried the bucket of water trick (at least a bath full) and the water appeared to be running freely down the pipe after about half a bath full, at which point my wife took on bucket duties and I went for a look- there appeared to no issue with water level, gurgling, etc.
    If as terrymac mentioned its a bad seal would this be as simple as some lashings of sealant (don't laugh) at the join?

11. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Yes, that's where the liquid collects. It's often a brown consistency.

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Look closely at the plastic fitting ,where the cast iron meets it . There is ,at the top of the plastic, a ring ( about 15 mm deep). It can be levered off. That plastic ring holds a rubber seal inside. It's that seal which has to make a watertight seal against the cast iron.
    And it isn't !!
    I would unclip the plastic and investigate. If need be ,pack it with plumbers mait putty and clip it back on.

timotay, D muldoon and Heat like this.
  13. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Great, I managed to pry it off so will give that a crack when I can get my hands on some putty. Thanks

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Pics ,in close up ,of the seal / cast iron fitting into the plastic would be good.

D muldoon likes this.
  15. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

As requested. Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 19.33.39.png

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks. I may be wrong ,but it appears that the cast does not fit into the plastic pipe ,but just rests on the slightly wider section that holds the seal. Does it ??

17. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Pics as promised. Noticed it's a right bugger to get it line up well enough to go back to its flush position the full way round. Maybe there's a back to it. B&Q shut on the way home from work so no putty for now. Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 11.51.15.png Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 11.51.27.png

18. D muldoon

D muldoon New Member

Knack to it not back to it.

19. You'd probably be better off replacing the vertical section of plastic with a longer bit without the collar and connecting to the cast iron with a rubber collar and jubilee clips (sorry I've forgotten the trade name).

D muldoon likes this.