Gabion Walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Elgar1, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Hi, I was after some advice please on whether the gabion wall shown in the attached photos is likely to fail? It looks like it has bowed already after only 1 year of installation. Its installed on a hill holding back the neighbours garden. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could be as a result of all the rain fall over the past 5 months or maybe tree roots.

3. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Yeah there has been a lot of rainfall and the water trickles down from neighbours garden.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably a good idea to get an expert in to assess the wall.

5. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Yes probably best but was hoping not to!

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

No one on here can give you a definative answer without knowing the dimensions and material of the gabions and the type of ground its holding back, the fact that it is already showing signs of distress does not bode well

7. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Fair enough and would agree it’s not a great start.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The gabion is showing signs of movement and stress, has it been tied back with ground anchors in the bank? Take great care, if it fails, it will be a mess. Do you have insurance to cover it?.

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Is it your wall? Who designed it? Who built it?

Was the line originally straight: I can't believe the bottom row has moved but the top is clearly distressed.

I reckon the cages haven't been properly filled as it's a curious movement showing.

There won't be any ground anchors so don't worry about that.

10. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

I don’t know the builder built it I think. Yes that’s my concern if it fails it’s not going to be pretty. Trying to find out if it would be covered as trying to buy the house but wall is putting me off.

11. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Trying to establish whether it would be my wall or neighbours as trying to buy the house. Designed and built by the builder I think - it’s a new build. Builder has said it’s moved but it’s OK ‍♂️

12. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

I had a similar problem to this, but fortunately I got involved before it was built.
    A new house was being built at bottom of my garden about 10ft above my ground level. To retain the ground the developer initially wanted to just put some anchored holding plates, to which I said No. He then came up with a Gabion Wall solution like yours. To be honest I'd never heard of them, but I have a few mates in the ground/structure construction game, so I asked them what is the long term solution... they all came up with the same answer... so I told the developer I would build my own wall and send him the bill. I had a bit of a squabble with him but he eventually sent me £10k.
    I know it doesn't help you but for reference... The solution was a reinforced concrete base 1m deep x 600 wide. A back course of concrete Hollow H Blocks, that when complete, get filled with concrete and steel rods. Then the front course can be your chosen brick/stone for aesthetics. The whole thing being 400mm wide. Mates rates got it built for £10k (in surrey)
    So, my only advice to you would be, if you are thinking of buying that house, then either get some rock solid guarantees, or better still, take £10k off the asking price, then the risk is yours. (I expect the developer/builder is hiding behind the 10 Year guarantee for new houses.. but that will be worth sod all once they both have wrapped up their companies)
    p.s. The reason everything always ends up at £10k is that small claims courts have a max award of £10k... if you want more then it has to go to full crown court and the process takes years, and you could rack up thousands in legal costs.

13. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

There are many different types of retaining wall and the height to be retained, space available, budget, aesthetics etc will all be considerations in deciding the most appropriate in any particular situation.

One of the massive advantages of gabions is that they are simple to construct and being flexible will continue to do their work even after they have moved a bit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them provided they have been properly designed and constructed.

I think there are 2 options open to you:

1. Walk away

2. Get a report from an appropriately experienced SE and if he is happy fine, if not get him to design a replacement and the builder build it: I would not get involved in designing and/or building my own just in case there were issues down the line.

Obviously you need to get confirmation of whose wall it is

14. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Thanks for reply. Yes just not sure it’s been designed or built right! The wife does not like option 1! so probably try option 2 I think.

15. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Thanks for advice and reply. If I buy the house and get it fixed your solution was something I thought might be good as it’s a solid wall behind the nice looking stone facing. The builder says the Gabions are fine (note not the wall) and yes he has already said about the 10 year guarantee (BLP not NHBC) being in place. In these difficult times you are right they could easily go pop so better to try and get something up front such as a it re-built or a reduction.