Help please? Is this work acceptable?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Scott888, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Hi, looking for some opinions or advice please. A builder/joiner has built this internal wall for a porch. I've been told the work isn't up to standard. How does it look? Does the damp proof look right? He has also screwed the blocks into the house. The builder is adamant the work is of a good standard. He also claims to be a proud member of the FMB on his website but doesn't show up on the actual FMB website. Is this false advertising to get work?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I’d be taking that back down and doing it again. It’s absolute shiiite. Even Stevie Wonder would stick two fingers up to that. He must have been running short on 4” DPC, sand and cement, wall ties, thermalite blocks, concrete blocks, insulation, everything required really. His spirit level must also be a Silverline Special judging by the shape of the door opening. Looks like a ‘pick and mix’ bond on the blockwork too, thermal here, concrete there etc. How do you mean the blocks are ‘screwed to the house’, because I can’t see any starter bars/furfixes? The perspective on the picture is hard to judge but it looks like the bits of DPM he’s placed are higher than the existing house DPC, though I could be wrong about that, but everything else is cack.

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

WTF Federation of Master Butchers maybe, kick him off site knock it down and start again. I tried really hard to find something positive to say but the work is an insult to every brickie :(

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Agree with jord86, looks shiiite!, i’m no builder, & it looks obvious the guy who has done that,is certainly no builder!

5. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Thanks for your reply. The damp proofing is higher than the original. He literally drilled into the house, then screwed through the block into the house brick. He's adamant there is nothing wrong with this work and is saying he's going to take me to court for kicking him off the job.

6. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Thanks for replying. I've told him not to come back and he's saying the work is spot on, he's had a second opinion from another builder that's apparently said it's fine and he's gonna take me to court. Building that and doing the foundations has taken him two weeks and he thinks that's fine?

7. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Thanks for replying. I'm no builder and I thought that. I just wanted some expert/impartial advice to back up my worries.

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Invest in an independent survey it will carry more weight in court than his mate from the pub, the dpc is too high, the wall ties are incorrectly spaced and missing, the cavity should continue into existing, mixing blocks affects both the load bearing and thermal properties of the wall, there is a reason for bonding, and if it’s bad above ground what has he done below

Jord86 likes this.
  9. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Agreed with all comments very poor standard of workmanship. Needs knocking down and rebuilding.

10. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Thanks for replying. This seems to be the general consensus.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

:D It gets better, or sadly worse.

I’m a carpenter by trade not a bricklayer, so if even I can identify the many issues with your porch via reading from a tablet and not being there in person there is absolutely no excuse for your man throwing up that and claiming it’s acceptable.

Take as many pictures as you can, and leave it standing for the time being as proof to an independent surveyor, let him take you to court, it won’t last very long. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bloke will attempt to knock it down himself and claim he is retrieving materials in order to prevent the standard being seen by someone who can testify that it’s an abortion.

12. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Does he really need to waste money on an independent surveyor? Any layman in the world can tell it's *****, a judge won't waste his time listening to arguements from this supposed builder.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had a porch made up last year.

Bricklayer used solid concrete blocks below ground and then thermalite/celcon blocks above this with the DPC.

Have you checked the blocks for level and plum using a spirit level?

Also have blocks been tied in. A wall state kit can be used or the screw in ties (around every 3 brick course) I think?

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are you going for block work on the external leaf? brickwork would look much better and in keeping with the house.

Likely old imperial bricks.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wouldn’t you want the money you’ve paid the ‘builder’ back for this ‘porch’?

16. Scott888

Scott888 Member

I'm not a builder so haven't got a clue about what he's done. It just doesn't look like I think it should.

17. Scott888

Scott888 Member

It was going to be bricks on the outside. He just keeps saying the work is fine, it's unfinished, and it doesn't matter what it looks like because it's an internal wall. I've sent him the comments from here and everyone is wrong according to him. He's asking for peoples numbers who have commented to ring and wants to see their work.

18. Scott888

Scott888 Member

He is saying now he is going to knock it down tomorrow. Can he legally do this? I've paid him for that work

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sack him. Get a proper builder in. Dont let him near your property.

Imagine how bad and even dangerous the build could get if he is allowed to continue!

20. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Wouldn’t that be trespass and criminal damage ? if you’ve paid him it’s yours and you have already told him he is not welcome on your property.