Insulating skeiling with PUR

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JJH128, Apr 5, 2020.

1. JJH128

JJH128 New Member

Hi there,

I’m currently renting a mid-terrace house with some friends. The top floor consists of two attic rooms and a landing, which are all freezing. Both bedrooms have access to the eaves, and after crawling around inside, it turns out that most of it is uninsulated, apart from about 30mm of poorly installed fibreglass in some places.

I am considering buying some kingspan and getting a professional to do the entire sloped roof, from the bottom of the eaves, to the apex. The issue is, that there are two large sections of skeiling at the front and back of the rooms, about two metres from top to bottom. The rafters are about 75mm deep, and sit directly on the plasterboard underneath, so after leaving a 50mm air gap for ventilation, there will only be space for about 20-30mm of kingspan, which will be difficult to install given the size of the section.

I’m wondering if 30mm of kingspan will make any discernible difference to the temperature of the room. There is more space to work with in the eaves and space above the rooms. Would it be worth putting 30mm of insulation in the skeilings, and adding another layer of kingspan in the eaves and top space, or is insulation only as effective as its weakest point?

My other consideration, is installing kingspan inside the room and painting over it, but given that my housemate on the top floor isn’t as bothered about the cold as I am, I doubt he would want to lose the headspace, and doing this to one room would be pointless.

I would very much appreciate some guidance with this, as I am completely amateur in this area. Is there another solution that I’m missing?

Many thanks is advance,

Josh

90349795_589951418401328_5714456057502236672_n.jpg 90524970_522515141981400_74495305805987840_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. Anything is better than nothing but it may be a lot of work for minimal gain so you question the practicality and feasibility.

I think I have seen products on the market that work by allowing only a 25mm air gap between the rafters but can’t remember them off the top of my head, although the common guideline is 50mm.

You may see better results by insulating between ‘and’ under the rafters but this does come with quite a lot of disruption. There are products that have minimal overall thicknesses...

https://www.alumaflex.co.uk/index.html

You mention you’re renting the house with others. Have you already approached the agent/landlord about the issue and see what they can do to improve it? Or the fact you’re looking into it and you will be getting somebody to do the work means the agent/landlord aren’t willing to help?

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Practically, cost effectively, and realistically, no. Invest in a portable electric heater and an extra blanket, or room rotate every three months or so, which will soon get tiresome.

4. JJH128

JJH128 New Member

Thanks for your replies.

The landlord is dragging his heels in regards to doing anything, even though I've said I'll pay for the work. I think I'll just rally him properly with the other housemates, would be good to get this job done properly.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Paying for the work is all well and good in theory, until you see the quote for doing so, the upheaval, and time taken to undertake the work by someone who knows what they are doing. You will soon change your mind, it would be far easier for you to rent somewhere else.