Removing redundant cable and mcb from consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Antony Jarvis, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Antony Jarvis

Antony Jarvis New Member

Afternoon all

I have an old aircon unit in the loft, and have already removed everything for it except the unit which is wired in. The unit hasn't been used for a good 6 or 7 years however is still working etc and wired in. My question is can I remove the mcb and put a blank in place and remove all the redundant cables. Cabling I'm find with removing I just want to make sure that once I've switched the main power off I won't die.

Attached Files:

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

No need to remove the MCB. Just disconnect the circuit (Live, Neutral and Earth) and remove the cable if possible. Then label the MCB as Unsused. Plenty of consumer units have unused MCBs present.

PaulBlackpool and Antony Jarvis like this.
  3. Antony Jarvis

Antony Jarvis New Member

Thanks for the reply and I'm guessing as soon as I've switched the mains off and the mcb I'll be safe to do this?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

There will be an area of the consumer unit that will remain live even though the main switch is off. ie the main incoming tails to the top of the main switch.
    So beware in that area. You should be ok if you are careful.

Antony Jarvis likes this.
  5. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

Do we encourage homeowners to work inside C/Us?

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Most experienced member's on this forum will add a word of caution and question whether the person asking is competent. Given the current situation, it may be safer to carry out some essential work rather than risk being exposed to Corona virus which is equally dangerous!

It could be argued that disconnecting a disused circuit is non-essential however, it will be up to the OP to determine their competance. They have been warned of the potential dangers even with the isolator switch off.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I didn’t encourage, I warned of the potential dangers. Think that’s the practical and responsible thing to do.

sparky steve likes this.