Routers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Joanne renwick, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Joanne renwick

Joanne renwick New Member

Guys (and Gals)
    I’m after a router...
    Now to clarify this I’m a sparky that also does some kitchen fitting ( mainly landlords who want as basic as it comes- nothing particularly tricky)
    However I’m doing a decent install at the moment in my own place and I want to mitre the worktop joints rather than but them with a joiner. As I won’t be using it day in day out out I don’t want a dewalt or Makita job (£££) I save that for my electrical stuff. However I don’t want a cheap (breaks after one use) job either. If it goes well then I will use in future to mitre worktop joints etc otherwise it will be an ornament
    I’m looking at either a trend T7 which seems to have the power, right shank size etc
    https://www.toolstation.com/trend-t...0t72bnEONl68LgVJfMtxDRlA7yGL4IXQaAtx7EALw_wcBor a silver line
    There are 2 models and some of their stuff can be ok
    1500w model
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-264895-1500W-Plunge-Router/dp/B002QS0J2S
    2050w model
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DU...164149693250?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Thoughts please ?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'll beat Jord to it - Ignore the Silverline.

I can't comment on the Trend as this is not a model I'm familiar with although Trend stuff should be alright. That said, their copy of the DeWalt 625e (the T11) gets mixed reviews which, given its heritage/pedigree means that they might be cost cutting somewhere in its manufacture.

Personally I would go for a better one but that takes you back into Dewalt & Makita territory. The DeWalt 625e is bomb proof in my experience, easy to use, well balanced and a lovely smooth plunge. Have you looked at the Hikoki 1/2" router (formerly Hitachi)? That seems to be a good bit of kit at a decent price.

You won't regret spending the money in the long run because you're saving on the cost of a professional install at home and should you decide to, you could sell a decent router on at a later date getting back a good part of what you paid for it - not if it's Silverline though....

Jord86 likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had a trend T10. Not sure about this model. Reviews half and half on the TS website

The Trend T10/11 are exactly the same Dewalt DW625.

On this occasion the silverline dosnt look too bad, using it just for worktops make sense and 3yr warranty.

Joanne renwick likes this.
  4. Joanne renwick

Hi the hitachi one looks very similar to the trend and similar price too. Trend seem to have a very good reputation from reviews online they also do jigs and cutters. The trend is on special at the moment and I could put the difference into decent cutter rather than spend another £50 between the trend and the hitachi?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Another option is Erabuer from Screwfix.

6. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

And another option is to perhaps hire one for a day?

I'm lucky... I'm only DIY but I've got the DeWalt one!

Cando

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Joanne renwick

Hi I looked at the reviews on the erbauer and the good ones were good but the poor ones were shocking so it put me off it.. I always look at the worst reviews first that way if they are not too bad and just personal niggles you know overall the kits pretty good but some of the poor ones were very poor
    It’s a shame as it was a good price

9. Joanne renwick

No I tend to like my own gear that way I’m invested in making use of it. As I said if I’m going to be doing odd kitchens going forward it would be good to have also I want to look at doing something with some garden furniture so would rather have my own

10. Joanne renwick

I’m always a bit wary about used. My used gear tends to be wrecked by the time I’m finished with it and it’s dealt too..
    I’ll have a look and see ..

11. Joanne renwick

12. Jimmycloutnail

Obviously at the current time it’s hard to collect used gear but you can usually tell from photos of the condition of tools and if they are in the original cases and with the original manuals. The DeWalt is a basic machine but does the job and is accurate, with good build quality. You may get one for a bargain and have some money to spare for a jig!!

Jitender likes this.
  13. Joanne renwick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-D...840699&hash=item2169878126:g:-r8AAOSw5K5eIeEI

This looks ok
    Tops out my budget but at least it’s refurbished?

14. Jimmycloutnail

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The picture on the listing may be not what you get.

Do refurbished models come with guarantee?

DeWalt give upto 3 years warranty.

16. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Can I just implore you to be VERY careful if you're not used to using one. A visit to hospital at present is obviously extremely undesirable. My last bit of unfamiliar rotating woodworking machinery (a very appropriately named DeWalt electric hand planer) made Christmas 1999 one I'll never forget.

17. Joanne renwick

Ooh Will do

my size and weight means I’m always extra careful with all my power tools. Just recently invested in a cheap plunge saw with track and I was surprised how easy it was to manoeuvre but the trigger and safety catch were obviously designed for mans hand at least a 7/8 I’m a 6 so that was tricky to say the least

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can pick up some good second hand tools off ebay. Just a case of looking carefully at the condition.

Some routers are purchased by hobbyists so won't get the trade use being lugged about in backs of vans by trades people.

I did buy the Trend T10 second hand, but sold it on after the first project as it was 110V and didn't do my research regarding transformer size :( Because it was in good condition I was able to sell it on without too much loss. There is more interested in the regular brands i.e Dewalt, Makita and Hitachi and are what most kitchen fitters used. Unless you are minted and own a Festool:cool:

19. Joanne renwick

It’s from a dewalt stockist but that’s the problem you don’t know until you get it?
    Warranty not mentioned?

20. Joanne renwick

Ooh only if I won the lottery most of my stuff is dewalt this time round and I’ve got the tstak system. But I use everything in there daily.. I’ll be lucky if use this again in the next year. I might only use it have a dozen times. Although I’d be tempted to mess About with some furniture if it does what I expect it to do