Routers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Joanne renwick, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The Trend t10 is exactly the same as the Dewalt 625.

It a very powerful machine and heavy so really only suitable for table mounting or worktops.

You could look at getting a 1/2" router with 1/4" check to give you more flexibility, they will be rated at around 1600W whereas the others are 2000W.

2. Joanne renwick

Joanne renwick New Member

Yep I was thinking more the t7 it has two collets 1/2 &1/4

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Dewalt 625. It’s modelled on an old German company named Elu’s design after Dewalt bought the company out in the nineties. Elu were a superb brand, build quality was second to none and their surviving tools are still highly prized on eBay today. Some of the older woodworkers will remember them and probably still own bits and pieces by them. Not that I own one of their models but at least three carpenter friends and acquaintances have told me they’re disappointed with Trends routers, though they do make brilliant jigs, bits and ancillaries.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The Trend T7 is a newish router on the market, could be a few years.

The weight is 4.3kg

The DW625 is 5.1 kg.

Considering the price I think I would go for the Trend its cheaper and it will be 'new' as opposed to refurbished. There are still a few bad reviews though, some comments as saying DIY use.

I'm not sure if the TS one come with case, but other sellers with case are at £150.

Joanne renwick likes this.
  5. Joanne renwick

The cheapest one I could see was £299 - might check with travois Perkins or burrells as I have accounts there and see what they would do it for ?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

7. Joanne renwick

8. Joanne renwick

9. Joanne renwick

Do you guys use biscuits at all. Again some people say yeah others nay. Some say only useful for solid wood worktops...

10. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Always use Biscuits for alignment in laminate tops if you can some times not possible, i have a biscuit jointer but you can get a 1/4inch biscuit cutter for a handheld router/trimmer that work just as well

11. Joanne renwick

Yep that’s what I was thinking

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had a 5% discount of purchases from powertool world today. Type in EGG at checkout, it ends tonight. So about £13.95 saving.

But because they don' have the 240V they should honour it as a gesture.

Joanne renwick likes this.
  13. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I've got to admit I haven't read this whole thread :oops: but in answer to the OP: 1) I can't recommend enough the DeWalt 625E for worktops (or anything else in fact) 2) look for a used one on eBay or try Cash Converters online (some good tools in there sometimes). Far better to get a used good quality router than something budget. You'll regret trying to use a cheap router on a worktop.

14. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

+1 to buying better brands either new or with reservation second hand . After van break in I bought
    several new budget brand tools. One stopped after a month, another stuck in the on position
    then went bang...

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

16. rajdsingh

rajdsingh New Member

I am looking for a router too - I'm a DIYer and enthusiast. I've come to the conclusion that 1/2 collet is the way to go if I'm only buying one. The options I've come up with for my budget are:

1. Erbauer ER2100 - https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...0v/535fx#product_additional_details_container - can be used as 1/4 collet and has 2 years warranty - £99.99
    2. Trend T7EK - https://www.toolstation.com/trend-t7-12-2100w-variable-speed-router/p96327 - can be used as 1/4 collet and 3 year warranty - £139.98
    3. HiKOKI M12VE - https://www.axminstertools.com/hikoki-m12ve-router-in-case-1-2-ax1009430 - can be used as 1/4 collet and 3 years warranty - £165.00

I'm leaning towards the Trend and HiKOKI because they're trade rated and have 3 years warranty. Trend is £25 cheaper which could go towards some router bits.

I saw this while looking for routers, not sure if it is a good deal: https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/faithfull-router-bit-set-of-35-tct-12in-shank.html

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would lean towards the HiKOKI, as additional 2 years warranty.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That price is wrong as its coming to £169.96 on the axminister site.

19. rajdsingh

rajdsingh New Member

CAUTION! The Trend T7 available in Toolstation is not T7EK (not sure what the EK stands for) and may not be under 3 year warranty. The Trend support site clearly states the following are under the 3 year warranty when registered: T5EB, T5ELB, T5EK, T5ELK, T5EK/MK2, T7EK, T10EK, T10ELK, T11EK, T11ELK, T20K, T20LK, T35A and T35AL

No mention of just "T7". I have reached out to them - let's see what they come back with :)

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think the letters refer to the particular voltage i.e wheter 230v or 110V.

Bit late for me now, but doesn't seem the T7 is available in 110V version. And listed as 'Heavy Duty'. Most trade people have 110v tools.