Washing Machine In Shower Room

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Baron88, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

Hello All,

I’m looking for some advice on the potential of putting a washing machine in a shower room.

I’m in the process of doing a house renovation and I’m doing the planning stage of kitchen area, and would like to fit in a shower come utility room (see attached pic). I’ve did a bit of digging and I’m aware of the Zones and I would be adding in a humidity controls fan regardless, but I’m not an electrician so I’m unsure of what is feasible or acceptable.

upload_2020-4-14_19-29-57.png

Any advice would be grand, many thanks in advance!

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think you'll need to put the sockets into a locked cupboard to comply with regulations.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I’d put fcu external to the room with flex outlet behind machines. Would and have done before ( years ago) put in cupboard with a door on

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I done something similar for a friend several years ago, she was living in a flat and needed to put the machine in the bathroom due to limited space and by a stroke of luck there was a socket outlet in the hall immediately behind so I drilled through through the wall and plugged the machine in there.

5. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

Hello Nigel, thanks for the reply. Would you then agree that if I than a fused socket behind the fridge freezer, and a hole in the stud wall for the plug to go through so its effectively in a different room, that this would be a suitable solution?

Cheers,

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Are you going to be putting the washing machine and tumble dryer in a cupboard? I assume the fridge/freezer is in the kitchen area where you are likely to have other electrical appliances such as oven/hob? If they are all on the same ring, check that you are not going to exceed the MCB/RCBO capacity.

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You need to install outside in an accessible position for future maintenance or emergency switch off, again needs to go into a cupboard with doors on . Best to get a sparks to do it. It must not be plugged in it needs permanent connection to be safe. Electrics done in a bathroom wrongly can be lethal, to you or members of your family