What brand car tyres are good

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by lemonade, Apr 17, 2020.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

I need 4 tyres before my next mot but what brands do people recommend that are not rubbish in the wet.

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Like most things, you get what you pay for. Cheaper tyres may last 6 months or end up putting you in a ditch!! Get the best you can afford.

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Michelin

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

FALKEN, read the reviews. Look for overall performance such as noise, grip, economy etc not just wet.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Highly recommend Asda Online. https://www.asdatyres.co.uk

Put in your car reg number & that takes you to all the tyres available for your sizing.

I have purchased many this way as it gives you a choice. Also I have tried Budget & premium.
    Don't be fooled by Budget, if you need to be thrifty their Budget tyres are very reasonable.
    I have a set on my van that although it is low mileage are still good after 4 years, & they are 8 ply.
    You select the tyre you want with quantity, enter your post code for nearest dealer.
    You even pay online, so when you arrive that's it all paid, no extra..

Tricky Dicky and PhilSo like this.
  6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You'd be hard pushed to get better prices than through Black Circles. Order the tyres there, and then use their tool to find a fitter near you. The prices of product plus fitting will be far better through them than if you just went to the fitter directly ... for exactly the same tyres! Go figure!

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

in terms of budget range i like Toyo Proxes. been running them on vectra B, Astra H and now a peugeot 206 and they wear well, pretty grippy and quiet. they are certainly better than some of the harder "ditch finders" that you can find in the budget range. I just shop around for the best price from whoever i can get them from as i fit my own tyres ( for my vehicles and wider family..)

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seems a very wide choice are available. :confused:

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Used Black circles. But ASDA is new one for me. Kumho are mid range.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Try all seasons tyres of a decent brand. They will grip much better in wet or cold weather and also on ice and snow. That generally means most of the year in U.K.

11. masterdiy

Up North yes.
    But down south west we don't have that problem.
    We run on Summer tyres all year round. :)

Heat likes this.
  12. lemonade

lemonade Member

Yes to much choice but not enough information. I can buy a economy tyre for £38.98 and a premium tyre for £68.26 but both tyres have E for fuel and C for wet.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How do they compare with noise rating (decibel).

14. lemonade

lemonade Member

Both 68db. I guess the higher the decibel the harder the tyre.

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Oh yeah. And you don’t ever have any of the wet stuff that falls from the sky?

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I’ve found Oponeo have some good deals cheaper than Blackcircles in the last few. As for tyres have a look at Barum, they have a very close relationship with continental found them good in wet and quite quiet too.

17. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

18. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Have used dunlop sportmaxx RT (225 40 Y 18) on a heavy 4x4 petrol family saloon. Excellent stopping,very quite. High mileage journeys 2000 mile round trips, set of tyres lasting 6-8 months but to be expected.

Now on a smaller 4x4 lighter new diesel car,currently use dunlop sportmax RT2 (225 50 17 Y 17) excellent wet stopping,v quite and doing less mileage now had them for 3 years showing signs of acceptable wear.

So Dunlop for me ;)

19. masterdiy

What make/model of car you using?

It does happen occasionally, but mostly its from passing a car wash.....;)

Heat likes this.
  20. lemonade

lemonade Member

Get the best you can afford is not helpful. I have dunlop sp sport bluresponse (£68.98 a tyre) on the front and they've only been on the car two years and done under 12k miles and even though they are still in legal limit you can feel them sliding in the wet and the walls have started to crack.