Sealing sockets on Kitchen tiles???

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by CosRush, Jun 14, 2009.

1. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Is it necessary/worth sealing the edges of a kitchen socket that is fitted onto the wall tiles?

Is there some kind of seal that can be fitted to the edge such that once screwed into the backbox it compresses against the tiles and forms a seal???

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its not necessary to do that Cos.

3. CosRush

CosRush New Member

OK thanks for that. :)

4. propper spark

propper spark Member

This really is one of my pet hates when you go to unscrew a socket and some numpty has gone round it with decorators cork.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Have never seen it done however if there was some indication for a gasket between plate and tiles then I suppose foam draught excluder strip (adhesive side on tiles) maybe would work.

6. AccaDacca

AccaDacca New Member

Unless ur into water sports( ask Clitty and Lucia for details) you dont need too,unless a blind man has stuck up the tiles..;)

7. Stuebbs

Stuebbs New Member

Hi,
    My kitchen tiles have bevelled edges which has created a very small gap between socket edge and tile when tiles have joined behind socket. It is small but enough for water to get in behind.

At the moment I’m just planning to put a spot of sealant in the gap but if there is a gasket that would be ideal.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Greetings @Stuebbs

it’s best if you don’t unearth topics from more than a decade ago. It wastes a lot of time. But I suppose that we have more time than we know what to do with at the moment.

you shouldn’t need to seal like that, it’s not like it’s a swimming pool, or a marina, or that you’ll be hosing the kitchen walls down (or will you??).

Sealing sockets onto surfaces (and I’ll include painting walls without loosening sockets) is dreadful. It makes any future work on the sockets very difficult and often results in damage to the sockets or wall/tiles.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. Stuebbs

Stuebbs New Member

Many thanks for the reply, I didn’t check the date, it was one of the top hits on google when I searched.

My bevelled edge description might not have painted the right picture. The bevel is on the face of the tile, about 2cm all around, which creates the gap. Although I won’t be hosing the walls down, I can’t account for the wife, they will be getting washed regularly.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As this is a kitchen, there’s the potential for a little build up of ‘gunge’ to occur where these gaps are - Metro Tiles perhaps ?

Without discarding the advice from Bazza, who’s a pro spark, in this case, sockets are fitted against a tiled surface. A tiny, neat bead (it’s gotta be neat) of silicone around the socket will fill the gaps and give a neat finish to the faceplates

If and when a socket needs to be removed / inspected / etc, tip of a craft knife run around the socket will cut through the silicone no problem - this is just a tiny bead, it’s not like your sealing a bath to the wall !

This won’t damage the tiles
    Potential to slip and scratch the faceplate if chrome but,,,,,,, it’s only a chance. If white plastic, cut away

And realistically speaking, how often are sockets removed ?

I would silicone around but,,,,,, gotta be a tiny bead and NEAT ! :)

Heat and gint like this.
  11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Could you post a photo of what you are trying to describe? It will make it easier for others to advise.

12. gint

gint Member

No need to seal, would make life difficult if socket needed changing

13. gint

gint Member

Sorry, didn’t realise they were Metro tiles (bevelled edges) too too from above post to apply tiny bead of silicone !

14. gint

gint Member

**top tip from above post should have read

15. gint

gint Member

Haha. Just seen, this is from years ago ! Oooos

16. gint

gint Member

Oops

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I did mention that...

18. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Or worse still they’ve tiled round em

19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Been to many a RCD fault only to find sockets embedded in the tiles filled with a **** load of grout