Ideas on how to assemble wooden frame for shed shelving

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by free_flyer, May 1, 2020.

1. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

I'm looking at constructing some shelving for my shed but I'm unsure how to assemble the frame, so I'm after some ideas and suggestions.

I've drawn the shed and shelving in a 3D CAD package.

I plan to use C16 CLS 63mm x 38mm timber for the frame as its cheap and strong (£21.12 for 8 pieces 2.4m in length from B&Q) and OSB 18mm thick for the shelves.

This is how it would look in the shed...

upload_2020-5-1_18-44-32.png

The frame and shelves...

upload_2020-5-1_18-43-31.png

upload_2020-5-1_18-45-48.png

Starting from the top I thought about screwing the shelf to the the frame as shown by the 13 screws below...

upload_2020-5-1_18-46-6.png

But then I wont be able to do the same for the shelves below, the only thing I could think of was fixings like those used on flat pack furniture

e.g. wooden dowels

upload_2020-5-1_19-14-36.png

e.g. peg and locking cams (which I have lots of spares)

upload_2020-5-1_19-23-17.png

I originally thought about using right angle brackets and jointing plates but as I plan to make two sets of these shelves the number of brackets/plates I need mount up in cost.

upload_2020-5-1_19-1-21.png

The other set of shelves is slightly different and this is so I can store larger items...

upload_2020-5-1_19-5-1.png

I looked at purchasing some ready made metal shelves (from places like BigDug), but they work out more expensive (when you also consider delivery) than building my own yet they seem quite flimsy

The other issue is that the height cannot be more than 1.5m and most ready made shelves are 1.8m

And finally by building my own shelving I can tailor the design for my own needs (e.g. the second set of larger shelves will be able to store the lawn mower)

It also gives me something to do during lock down !

But at the same time I don't want to turn this project into a big job or have it cost more than buying ready made shelves

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Brilliant design software gotta say
    I do my 'working outs' on scrap paper and pen/pencil but I am a bit of a dinosaur - my two boys have tried to bring me up to the modern world with similar stuff on the pc but I'm a stubborn mule !

I'm also a fan of CLS timber as the price is unbelievably reasonable (even cheaper from a wood yard, if any local to you open ?) and it has many more uses other than stud work

Many ways to build these shelves and I agree, better to build yourself as you can customise them to your exact spec - your never going to get that 'off the shelf' (excuse the pun)

I would build each frame that sits around perimeter of each shelf and the centre bar, screw each shelf to each frame

Then keep each of the 6 legs as a complete length - ie 1.5m
    The legs fix on the outside of the frame/shelf and screw through to the frame, 2 diagonal screws at each level, or could use a coach bolt if you wish

Don't see the point of the base frame that sits on the shed floor ?
    I would just secure each leg to floor with a stretcher plate

Then secure shelving to shed uprights with a few brackets ,,,,,, but you've got that covered I'm sure :)

A little more crude in design than your masterpiece but it’s shelving for a shed after all (practical though it must be, agreed)

The use of timber dowels, cams, multitude of metal brackets, etc seems rather over engineered for such a humble item ?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    free_flyer likes this.
  3. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

4. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Thats perfect and would do the job BUT..... £50 for 8 brackets !!! That's expensive for what they are.

I would need to buy 3 or 4 packs so thats £150 to £200 just for the brackets on top of the timber and shelves.

Shame they are so expensive as it would have done the job perfectly

5. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Cutting the uprights into 3 pieces and rejoining them is extremely time consuming and significantly weakens the structure. Use Complete uprights as said already.
    either set them outside of the shelf perimeter, or notch the shelf osb to accommodate. Construct the shelf frame from shorter pieces between the uprights.

free_flyer likes this.
  6. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Thanks DIYDave, the 3D CAD software is called Design Spark Mechanical (supplied by RS) and its free. I taught myself how to use it with the aid of youtube videos etc

I agree about the base frame and was thinking of changing it, but at the moment Im just trying to work out how I could assemble the frame and work out what material I need and therefore the cost.

The other issue is transporting the wood, for example the shelving I was looking at is OSB 2.44m 1.22m x 18mm (from B&Q). I was hoping I could get it cut in store but this service is not available during lockdown and the full size wont fit in my car, so I would have to take the drastic action of cutting it with a hand saw in the car park to get it in the car (Seat Leon) which is far from ideal. Delivery is not an option either due to lockdown.

Im trying to understand what you mean by "I would build each frame that sits around perimeter of each shelf and the centre bar, screw each shelf to each frame" but dont quite get it ?

7. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Ply would be preferable for the shelves and can often be bought in smaller sheets, though more expensive than osb. Given the support structure you’re looking at there’s no reason each shelf can’t be two smaller pieces. Joints should only occur over a timber support. And that said 12mm ply would be suitable for quite a lot of weight.

free_flyer likes this.
  8. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Thanks JustPhil, if you look at my original design (which uses the brackets and joining plates) you will see that the corners were full length with notches cut out of the shelf corners so they would sit within the frame.

But then I changed the design to using brackets and joining plates, its useful to know that this latest design will weaken the structure so I will reconsider that once I work out the method to assemble the frame

9. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

I did look at plywood but like you said its more expensive which is why I selected OSB. Ill look at the price difference between 18mm OSB and 12mm ply

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ply is a lot stronger.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Maybe I will take a look at that free software .,,,, just maybe !

Like a lot of kids, my 2 boys are pc magicians and eat, sleep and breath all such stuff, they’re also patient and good trainers when it comes to me

With your plan you’ve identified an issue in that you then have to join the vertical legs on each section

My plan is you build the frame for each shelf and screw each shelf to frame, ie, 2x long CLS along edges, 3x short CLS across the width
    This gives the shelf strength and provided fixings for the vertical legs

So you make up each of the shelves complete with perimeter framing first

Then fix your 6 legs as complete 1.5m lengths

Easier to build laying unit down then stand it up and walk it into shed (if space allows

See if any wood yards are open locally to you. Very often cheaper than BQ and most will cut timber to your sizes

My local yard provides great timber and great prices but charges 60p per cut (which can add up)

They may also offer a delivery service locally but handling 8x4 sheets isn’t easy with a domestic set up !

free_flyer likes this.
  12. G Roo

G Roo Member

4 identical horizontal ladder frames with three equally spaced nogins in each. Butt join the whole lot together... Two 5x80 screws at each joint - never had any problems using basic Goldscrews. Make-up one frame then build the rest on top of it they will be the same then.
    Screw thro full length uprights (studs) into the ladders front and back using same fixings.. you could add timber connectors if you like but I wouldn't bother.
    Shelves... OSB would be my choice 12 mm for 350 deep.. I would notch out for the back studs.
    YES I would put a shelf in the base otherwise I'd feel like kicking myself every time I tried to drag stuff out of there.

You know... this would be a damn good reason to convince someone that you need a battery skill saw... 8x4 sheet ...car park... clamps... batten...Whoosh!!... job done...

free_flyer likes this.
  13. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Is this what you mean DIYDave...

Shed1.jpg Shed2.jpg Shed3.jpg Shed4.jpg

I've also attached the design as a 3D PDF - if you open the file Shelves.pdf it will ask whether you trust the document - choose 'trust this document once' and click on the question mark in the top left corner, then it will open and you can spin, zoom etc.

I was planning on building the shelves in the garden and then move the shelves into the shed once built.

I had a look on Travis Perkins and Jewsons but I think they were more expensive and might be trade only (especially during lockdown)

I live in Milton Keynes and dont know of any other timber yards, especially that will be open during lockdown.

Attached Files:

14. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

15. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Just been looking at cordless saws and then realised that the battery isn't included and nor is a battery charger

So you wont see much change out of £200 as you're looking at around £100 for the saw, £50 for a battery and £30 for a battery charger !

Think Ill just have to use my hand saw :(

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi again
    I’ve not opened any files tbh, just taken a look at images above (I’m a bit lazy like that) !

But yep, pretty much my plan. Only change I would make is the top shelf, you’ve sat it on top of legs which means the shelf dimensions would be slightly larger than the next two shelves down

I would make all shelves same size for ease so that the legs are placed on the outside of all shelves - only a minor point though

18mm OSB is a good material for this job, I’ve used it in my garage and shed for shelves and units. Plenty strong enough, I mean, what are you going to be storing on the shelves anyway ?

Engine from a ford transit ? Can always add some additional studs across the width and even add metal stretcher plate under each position where the legs join the frame

As to timber supplies, yes tricky at the moment and we’ve all got to be sensible as to our movements

Cheapest way to buy materials for you will be 8x4 OSB sheets and cut them yourself

I ‘think’ Wickes are offering a delivery service but with extended delivery dates (and I guess an additional charge)

If your going to be diy’ing in the future and can treat yourself to a useful tool, a track saw is a great option

Similar thread on the forum where couple of us have mentioned the Titan track saw from SF

Unfortunately no longer available but as a similar, budget replacement they’re offering the Mac Allister Track Saw for £100, comes with 2x700mm rails

If you can get the 8x4s delivered, then lay them on drive / lawn, raised up on CLS and sail through them with the track saw. Also supplied with 24 tooth blade which will be more than adequate for osb (not fine cabinet making though)!

Just some more options for you

free_flyer likes this.
  17. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Thanks DIYDave

The shelves will only be used to store typical shed items e.g. paint, tools, bits and bobs

The only reason for looking at a cordless saw was to cut the wood in half in the car park so I could get it in the car

I already have a corded saw (Titan TTB286CSW 1500W 190mm Circular Saw 230V) but thats no use in a car park !

I know I can fit the CLS in the car, the shelving sheet wood would have to be in another trip but even if I could cut it in half I think it would be difficult to get in the car.

I did look at Wickes a week or so ago and they were only selling to trade for essential items so I had another look today and they are able to deliver the CLS (x22) and OSB/Plywood for free which is great.... BUT there is a 2 week wait for deliveries !

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t think Wickes were selling to trade only tbh

Click and collect yes and no entry to stored, you picked items up following notification from their car park but they were selling to trade and public alike ....... anyway

I’m also on the lookout for sheet timber for a project so can feel your pain !

I see that B&Q are claiming next day delivery available but as sheet materials come under ‘bulk delivery’, minimum order value of £100 required - not sure you’re gonna reach that figure

Shame, as you’ve got the circular saw to rip down boards should be plain sailing but ............ nope :(

Back to the drawing board it seems - or fancy design software for you ! :D

free_flyer likes this.
  19. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

The order actually comes to £120.... BUT annoyingly the CLS isn't classed 'bulk delivery' so it isn't included. Delivery cost is £30 and within 14 working days as well.

upload_2020-5-4_17-20-39.png

upload_2020-5-4_17-22-59.png

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m outta ideas then mate, gonna have to concede on this one !

Was only looking last night at BQ delivery and got excited when I read about next day delivery

This clearly isn’t on bulk items though

Rightly or wrongly (different discussion) retail options may be easing up over the coming weeks so you may have more luck with an independent timber yard that’s local

Put on the back burner for a while and crack on with other jobs I guess is the best option :)

free_flyer likes this.