Satin turning into Gloss?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PHILPH, May 12, 2020.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi
    I’m after some advice or opinions.

I purchased some Rust Oleum Combicolor around 2 years ago and not got round to using it until last weekend.

It had not been opened and had been stored correctly however it is a high gloss finish, however it was a satin finish I had originally ordered.

I emailed the company to check my order, which I still have the receipt and it states Satin.

The company replied and said it resulted in the gloss finish for the following reasons, that it had not been stirred enough prior to me using it and that the matting agents would have settled, however it took a while but it was a normal paint consistency before I used it, and the second reason was with it being out of date it can affect the gloss level and colour stability?

Are these reasons plausible as I’m starting to think they sent me the wrong paint.

Regards
    Phil

2. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Not sure out off date but agree with not being stirred enough

Astramax likes this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Does the tin say whether its satin or gloss?

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Still amazed at how much of a stir it can take to completely distribute the paint around a container after standing for some time.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

......it may say 'Semi Gloss' :p

6. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Unfortunately I can’t tell from the tin as when I had stirred the paint I transferred some into a paint kettle and wiped the runs with the brush and it covered most of the label and tried to carefully scrape the paint off the following day to check but the paper came off the tin as well.

If only I had checked before opening the tin but to be fair I didn’t expect this to happen.