How to choose a drill

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Marta Snopinska, May 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Marta Snopinska

Marta Snopinska New Member

I'm looking to buy a drill which will be able to drill into stone walls so I can put shelves up. Also it would be good if it was versatile and suitable for lighter jobs like putting Ikea furniture together. I don't know which type will be suitable - would someone be able to advise please? Any suggestions welcome, Many thanks

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I won't make any recommendations with regards to models,but it it appears that you need a combi drill, i e, one that has hammer action for drilling walls and also adjustable torque settings for screw-driving. We really need more details, such as funds available and amount of use likely.

3. Marta Snopinska

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. My budget is upto £100 and it would be for some odd decorating jobs around the house, let's say once a month. Would it be easier to choose two separate drills? Many thanks

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd go for budget hammer drill that will last you a life time that runs off 240v but buy DeWalt extreme masonry bits. They work great but go on slower speed. You want something light and easy going for furniture. 10.8v or 12v. Loads about cheap enough.

Abrickie likes this.
  5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I agree with Wayners on many points, but for occasional DIY use have a look at the Metabo combi from T/S. £90 inc. some screwdriver bits.

6. markus11

markus11 Member

When you say "stone" walls so you mean actual stone (or concrete) or brick?
    If it is stone/concrete, forget a combi drill, you need a mains SDS drill like this:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...us-drill-9-piece-accessory-kit-230-240v/97533

However this will be no use at all for assembling IKEA furniture.

If it's just standard brick/block wall and for general DIY I would pick up a cordless combi drill like this:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gs...coolpack-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/369hg
    I have the older version of this and it's been great.

I would look to get a "proper" brand with a good range of cordless tools then as you need additional tools you can just buy the bare tool cheaply and just use the battery and charger you already have.
    The better brands also hold much more of their value should you wish to sell and upgrade.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Marta Snopinska

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.
    Markus 11, the external walls in my house are made of actual stone 18'' thick, and party walls are brick so I need something powerful enough to get through it. I was actually considering the very same Titan model so I'm glad you confirmed my choice. So I just need to find a general DIY one within my budget.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You're not drilling through the walls though are you - only into them. That drill is outstanding value but it's a heavy brute. It's definitely a two handed machine. You can at least return it if you don't like it.

malkie129 likes this.
  9. markus11

markus11 Member

OK great, I've got that exact drill and it's endured a lot of punishment as my house has very solid blocks that the combi drill couldn't get through! As mentioned by @WillyEckerslike It is *very* heavy!
    SF sell two kits, same drill but different drill bits etc, I got the 9pc one (as per the link above)

In case your not aware, when you drill, turn off the hammer action at first and get the hole started, then turn on the hammer, otherwise the drill bit will dance over the wall!
    I've found the Milwaukee SDS Plus bits work well and dont seem to blunt easily (like these ones: https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-sds-plus-shank-masonry-drill-bit-6-x-210mm/117hh)

Also don't forget ear defenders!

10. Marta Snopinska

I've never held anything apart from a screwdriver so all these are super helpful and helped me with a shopping list. Many thanks!