"The Front Door"

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by enc, May 11, 2020.

1. enc

enc Active Member

I'd been planning on giving the door a makeover dor sometime and as im running out of jobs now the time is right :)

Heres the door i think its about 7 years old.. still in good nick though the part around the glass is discoloring slightly and i hate the brass effect iron wear.

[​IMG]

Yuck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up some enamel aerosol from ebay. I havent a clue how hard wearing this stuff is but, i have nothing to loose... if it doesnt last i can replace the metal work later.

[​IMG]

The metalwork is actually Anodised aluminum. Ready for flatting with 600 grit and wire wool

[​IMG]

doesnt look too bad...for now :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enc

enc Active Member

Time to gather the tackle ...

[​IMG]

The door was washed down with sugar soap dried and wiped over with methylated spirit and dried.
    To key the door for paint it was flatted with wire wool and 600 grit sandpaper, brushed off then wiped down again with meths before a final wipe over with a tack cloth.

[​IMG]

The door numbers are not going back on the door so the screw holes were filled with isopon plastic filler

[​IMG]

Masking up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to astramax for the heads up on the paint :cool:. This stuff is fantastic.

[​IMG]

id bought a mini roller but as the door has a "grain" i got better results using a brush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looking great, top marks! ;)

enc likes this.
  4. enc

enc Active Member

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nice level of sheen, complimented by the newly re-finished door furniture.

6. enc

enc Active Member

The paint is very flattering as it's so easy to use ... im a crummy painter but im pleased with what ive achieved here.
    thanks again for recommending the paint ;)

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Looks good , impressed enc !!
    How long lasting is that paint Astramax ??

enc likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pleased to have been able of help you.:)

enc likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Depending on the usual preparation/location/substrate conditions etc it would be in the area of 5 to 6 years which would make it within the lifespan of other similar paints, the bonus is it is an easy paint to apply, dries quickly, covers very well and brushes wash out in soapy water. :)

chillimonster and terrymac like this.
  10. enc

enc Active Member

Been a few days now and the repainted metalwork has had a chance to harden properly. I cut it back with T-cut and and sealed it with Poor Boys wheel sealant. hopefully, thois will give it a bit more protection.

[​IMG]

New House number plaque fitted. The black porchlight will be replaced when I find something more suitable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting on a new doorbell to arrive and that should be it :rolleyes:

11. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I discovered after re painting my front door, and still not got round to putting the numbers back on, the damn postie still delivers bills :(

haigie likes this.
  12. enc

enc Active Member

we
    Tell the postie to post them at Bills house :p

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

He sends them back, I tried, in fact the cheeky sod sent me some of his as well :(:D

enc likes this.
  14. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Brilliant job, looking to do similar. Is that door UPVC?

15. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

I can see it isn't UPVC now I've looked properly.

16. enc

enc Active Member

Thanks. Yes it’s UPVC

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cracking job. Agree that the paint you used is good. Used it myself on various projects.

I like the finish on the door furniture.

enc likes this.
  18. enc

enc Active Member

Thanks koolpc. It’s been 3 months now and all paint is holding up well. There’s been a lot of foot fall through the door over the last few weeks, and I’d been dreading it getting scratched with various tools and materials coming and going. Fortunately it appears to have escaped unscathed :)

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I may end up doing the same on my front door! I like the colour you chose. So much better than white, of which, mine is too.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You prepared the door well. Shows in the finish.

Was it only one coat that you gave the door?