Standard window sizes and brick courses

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark83, May 18, 2020.

1. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

Hello all, Im DIY self building a side extension and installing a window on the front and french doors on the back both 1200mm. However Im a little confused as the brick course width with joint of 5.5 bricks is 1248 and 5 is 1135. A standard wickes window and french doors is 1190 assuming ill need 10mm each side, neither work?? So anyone have any ideas how this fits nicely? Am I missing something?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Upv...ors-Inwards-Opening---1190-x-2090-mm/p/187557

The height however (2090 including sill pack) fits within 28 brick courses (2110) with 10mm gap.

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Single storey?

3. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

Yes 8m x 2.5m single storey with lean style pitched roof with a small hip on the back of the extension

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Damn, pitched and you could just have BoE over lintel, 2.5 wide ?

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Right 11 bricks long, openings central gives you 2 3/4 bricks either side, or off set and 2.5 one side 3 the other, forget trying to work it out with a tape, everybody except the brick manufacturers knows what size a brick is lol. I just dry bonded it with an LBC ;)

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Is your overall size matched to brick format?? Chances are you will have to tweak the perps or use closers anyway.

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

When did you last get a brick that was brick sized ? Hope to god you didn’t lay it, be worth a fortune on eBay in a couple of years ;)

8. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Be prepared for your engineering bricks to be a totally different size to your facing, have a look at dpc level on new builds it’s hilarious :D

9. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Closers !! “ the only place for a closer is next not a quoin header” lol :)

Abrickie and David Hatim like this.
  10. David Hatim

David Hatim Active Member

It most certainly is

Abrickie likes this.
  11. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

So are you pair citing Nash or are you old enough to be quoting Hodge ?

David Hatim and Nev Hope like this.
  12. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Lol my Dad had the Hodge book :p

David Hatim likes this.
  13. David Hatim

Don't know what Nash or Hodge is, but as an apprentice 30 years ago, we had to build all sorts of decorative solid wall projects at the local technical college, we were taught the rules of bonding, and a queen closer could only go next to a qouin header. So there! :D

14. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

All that decorative work and then years of one on top of two :(

David Hatim likes this.
  15. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

So ive attached a plan of the ground floor proposed. I was planning to use cavity closers which may take a bit more of the gap but not 38 mm? so i guess ill have to do some jiggery pokery with the brick work? haha.

Attached Files:

16. David Hatim

Yes you are right, raised panels, herring bone, Flemish garden wall bond, the list goes on. Did build an axed bullseye a couple of years ago, set the trammel up and everything :)

17. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Ask a young brickie and he’d be reaching for a preformed centre, it’s sad :(

David Hatim likes this.
  18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Think you're right Abrickie or perhaps a museum? My place has brick lengths varying by >20mm

My point was that he is 99.99% certain to have to tweak his perps or cut bricks (whether called closers or some other esoteric bricklaying term) to build the other bits.

David Hatim and Abrickie like this.
  19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

In amongst the brickies remembering the days when bricks were bricks you may have missed the gems. It’s not as bad as looks with a tape, when you set out probably a difference between your engineering and facings, so live with the difference as seen on new builds or set out for your facing and work the engineers to them. Lay the first course out dry and tweak your joints to suit at this point, this applies to the elevation with the door as well, don’t just tweak for the door or you’ll be cursing at lintel height. Don’t alter the joints up the side of the openings tempting as it will be, you’ve got cuts no way around it, if the cuts alter slightly the eye will forgive but not so the joints. You will have a cut close to 3/4 which obviously means at half bond a cut of 1/4 on the next course, no it doesn’t that makes bricklayers cry, 3/4 up against the window, next course 1/2 against the window then a 3/4 and back to stretchers. :)

20. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

Thanks for the reply abrickie, so as they’ve done in this picture of a window I have elsewhere?

Attached Files: