Help With Flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spannerw, May 18, 2020.

1. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Evening All
    I have started to remove old laminate flooring, which had a bump in it, before laying new laminate.
    However I have found out why old laminate had a bump, as you can see in the pics the t & g does not sit level at the joint.
    Any ideas what would of caused this and what should I do to remedy it?
    All help gratefully received.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

This cheap handymans newbie eyes ain’t what they used to be that is the t&g chipboard your levels on is it ?

3. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

:):):) Yes mate it is. its rocking on the join.

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Bodge it or do it right, which would you prefer

5. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I am guessing to do it right you are gonna tell me to rip it all up and start again?
    We are planning on putting laminate back down so obviously would need to be level.
    Don,t really want to bodge it either. But i am no carpenter so ripping it all up ( if thats what you tell me to do) maybe beyond my skillset, unless you tell me it is fairly straight forward?

What would you say has caused it? We brought the house 1 year ago and was like that then.

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Hell yeah, it’s the sorting out underneath where the fun begins ;) but seriously if you’re happy taking laminate up the t&g is only slightly worse. I can’t see any fixing the the chipboard, so I’m thinking floating floor, does that sound about right ?

7. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Yes its a floating floor, confirmed by neighbour who is an architect.
    Happy with the ripping up and laying of laminate, done that before in old house. Last house was a lot older so know nothing about floating floors, never had them before.
    Go on then......scare me. What do i do??:confused:

I will of course be asking John45 how to do it properly;)

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If you put your level and the full chipboard next door to it is there still a dip i.e. is it the joist that is beneath the joint that has been laid slightly higher than adjacent ones.

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Obviously sub the work out to john45 he sounds soo desperate. Rip the rest of the laminate up and have you got a multitool?

10. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Sorry Severntrent, not quite understanding what you mean?:(

11. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Yes mate, brought it on Saturday to take the old glue off the skirting. Its bloody marvellous!!

12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Once the floor is clear run the level over to see what you have. Does that hump happen in the rest of the floor ?

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

They’re awesome ain’t they does everything, once used it’s like how did I manage before :D:D

fff likes this.
  14. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

No, hump is only in that 1 area, I will carry on taking laminate up then and let you know what i find.
    Should I be worried or is it fixable??

15. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Yeah mate, comes with a sanding block and everything!! How did i cope without it!!

fff and Abrickie like this.
  16. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Honestly everything is fixable, the trick is figuring out how, if it’s just in that one row less to take up , see winning already ;)

fff likes this.
  17. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

So taken a load more up and floor seems to level out about 2.3 m away from the hump?

18. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

And it’s just in that one row ? Strange, you know the routine could we have some more photos please :)

19. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Yes just that row coming away from doors towards me.

Attached Files:

20. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Level is okay on that 3rd row ?