Un level strip foundation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jayeno, May 19, 2020.

1. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

Hi guys,
    I need a bit of help, I’m building a pitched roof single story extension on the side f my house, but my strip foundation is 10cm lower one end from the highest point at the other end (I knackered it somehow even though I pegged and levelled).

What I plan to do is cut some concrete flags to width of trench block and build it up, feathering in the discrepancy from highest to lowest point, decreasing the depth of my mortar beds to where it becomes level again!? If that’s makes sense?

Question is will the flags be strong enough under the compressive load? So in theory it will be 3-1 cement mix to 20mm depth 20mm, 60mm Concrete flag, 20mm bed of mortar to next course.

Any other suggest apart from pour more concrete?

Thanks for your input. Jay

2. Chippy mick

Chippy mick Member

To be honest if you couldn’t get the foundation level I wouldn’t attempt any more of the building.

Mobo1414 and gadget man like this.
  3. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

Haha thanks for your input mick,

Already built a couple of extensions, standard stuff pitched roof, roof windows, bi folds usual stuff. No idea how I have made such a big discrepancy in the foundation but you live and learn.

4. Chippy mick

Chippy mick Member

Maybe invest in a laser level then.

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Course of trench block, cut to suit. ;)

Slabs for crying out loud:(:p

David Hatim likes this.
  6. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

Thanks Arbrickie,

I was just being a ***** bag/ lazy as I had some old 2ft slabs lying round so was going to cut them in half, do you not think the slabs would be string enough?

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

TBH I thought Roy Rogers was posting from beyond the grave :D

Deleted member 11267 and Jayeno like this.
  8. David Hatim

David Hatim Active Member

Was waiting to see what you said, lol. I miss read the original post, thought it said 10mm, that would have been the best footing I've built on in years

gadget man and Abrickie like this.
  9. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Answer to post - Slabs are more than strong enough, its high strength compressed concrete

10. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

A footing 10mm out, OP would have brickies queuing up to lay on it :D:D

gadget man and stevie22 like this.
  11. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

Thanks I might stick a couple in as bed tapers to lowest point.

12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

**** taking aside, what’s the difference between slabs and concrete commons ;)