Uneven concrete back of garden

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DN30, May 21, 2020.

1. DN30

DN30 New Member

Hi guys,

I have an area at back of my garden that we want to put a garden room on. It has big concrete poured slabs. Couple have cracked but they are wonky and uneven.

We want to try and avoid having to dig that out and re slab it. I was thinking of just building a little wall to level off the bits i need for the foundations of the garden room.

Will this be sufficient? Or what would you suggest?

Cheers

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Are they actually stable? And what are they built on? Is there a compacted hardcore below? How thick are they ?

Abrickie likes this.
  3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

As a compromise to taking them up, why not cut out for the footing, that way only the floor is at risk of failure instead of the whole thing. Just saying, as I hang my Stetson back up;)

4. DN30

DN30 New Member

They are super stable, about 3 inch thick. Unsure as to what is below them, but they aren't going anywhere

5. DN30

DN30 New Member

Cut out as in cut a little trench to put a row of blocks in more securely?

Bring that stetson back :):)

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. DN30

DN30 New Member

Im Irying to add pics but it saying they are too big, even if i use lowest res pic on my phone..

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Yes, cut the slab back, dig out and concrete new strip footing and lay off that. You don’t have to touch the rest of the concrete, but you know you’re building off sound footing and the laying will be easier off level concrete instead of wonky concrete ;)

8. DN30

DN30 New Member

Ok thank you for that, ill look into trying to get a disc cutter i guess :cool:

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If the existing is only a couple of inch thick 9” angle grinder will do ;)

DN30 likes this.
  10. DN30

DN30 New Member

Perfect thank you sir :p:p

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

As suggested, cut strips where you need the cabin base to have strength, dig deep and pour concrete. You could, come up 50mm of so and pour across the existing to give a clean flat finish.

DN30 likes this.
  12. DN30

DN30 New Member

Thank you mate