Spacing decking spindles.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by shunnyboy1927, May 21, 2020.

1. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Got a few handrails and spindles to fit on a deck. Can anyone help me out with the easiest way to have equal spaces. For example one of them from inside post to post is 1700mm don't particularly need a spindle tight to post. Looked on YouTube but not making sense. Many thanks.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Decide how many spindles you want, add 1 to that number and then divide the distance between the posts with that number hence centres between spindles and edge of posts i.e. 16 posts, divide 1700 by 17 is 100

3. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

How do i know how many spin dles I want. That's the part I don't grasp.I thought if I required say a space of 80mm then the thickness of the spindle divide by say 1700.doing my head in to be honest

4. G Roo

G Roo Member

Umm... not quite. Take this example : space between newels 2340, 16 spindles @ 40mm each width. 2340 - (16x40) leaves 1700 for the spacing.. 16 spindles so 17 spaces... So 100mm spacing between each spindle... which is the maximum recommendation for stair regs ( part K) so a baby's head can't pass through them.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Without taking babies heads into account a fencer once told me, lay one in the middle of the total length, then another in the middle of the new length and so on. So whatever length you have always place one in the middle until it looks right.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Regarding the babies heads - you must not be able to pass a 100mm diameter sphere at any point between the spindles so if they narrow or taper at all in the design you must take that into account.

rogerk101 and Abrickie like this.
  7. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Thanks for that but how did you come up with the 16 spindles

8. G Roo

G Roo Member

substitute your clearspan substitute your number of spindles substitute your spindle thickness do the calculation if it comes up over 100 add a spindle and try again

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Maths, he cheated where did 2340 come from is the question you should ask lol.

Let’s take your 1700.
    Start with 100mm space. 1700-100= 1600 now divide by spindle + space. So 1600 /140= 11.42, bugger not a whole number but if we use the next whole number as the number of spindles.
    12 spindles @ 40mm is 480mm. So 1700-480 is 1220. Now divide that by spindles +1, 1220/13 gives you 93.85 mm spacing for 12 spindles

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  10. G Roo

G Roo Member

.... I was waiting to see if he worked it out...

11. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Or download the Toolbox app and put your dimensions in and boom .

12. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Thanks starting to make sense at last

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

No problem ;)

14. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Where did the 140 "come from please

15. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

40 mm spindle size + 100 spacing

16. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Thanks for your time, very grateful will try it out tomorrow

17. G Roo

G Roo Member

... And that is why, when using app to solve your problems, you will learn how to use the app to solve your problems... and sod all else

shunnyboy1927 likes this.
  18. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

My problem was I could not even find the app, let alone use it:)

19. G Roo

G Roo Member

Yeah but because why we know it works we can apply the principle to other situations - so our knowledge is portable and transferable. Young trade people today want an app for everything so don't develop these skills. you can be pretty sure that tosspot troll thats just appeared above needs a calculator to work out 6 x 7 because that's 'too long'

20. shunnyboy1927

shunnyboy1927 Member

Well said mate