Levelling concrete oversite before insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Adam Harrington, May 22, 2020.

1. I had to concrete inside the house and inside extension before any walls could be removed so now the walls have been removed, with the help of using slighty more concrete inside and running out of materials outside the two levels don’t quite match up.
    The depth needs to be 150/160mm and I have around 25mm to make up In the low area which is probably 10m2.
    This would cost a fortune in self leveller so could I use sand to bring the levels up so my insulation can be laid flat with the rest of the floor?
    Any other suggestions?

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

What’s going on top of the insulation ?

3. UFH and then either a wet or dry screed

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Sharp sand and cement, would be better than sand and cheaper than self levelling ;)

5. Would you just mix it dry and level out or damp so it’s like a screed?

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

A fraction more water than for a screed and ensure the existing concrete is dampened down prior to starting ;)

7. I have a full Spare bag of building sand and 1 bag of ballast, could this be used?

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Anything would be better than just sand ;)

Jord86 likes this.
  9. sharkey_2k

sharkey_2k Member

I’ve got to do same thing soon I was going to use grit/sharp sand quick run over with wacker then dpm insulation ufh pipes then screed

done this a few times this way and floor spec I have says same