Am I paying too much?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by BullishBull, May 21, 2020.

1. BullishBull

BullishBull New Member

Hello,

I've been quoted £365 for somebody to supply and fit primed skirting board in a 4.2 by 4.2m living room. He will also box in the radiators pipes on one wall. Is this priced correctly?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds cheap, at that price the skirting must be MDF.

Alwaysworking likes this.
  3. BullishBull

BullishBull New Member

Yeah I was told that MDF is used as standard now? And that it is moisture resistant or something along those lines.

4. Lawrie Spark

Lawrie Spark Member

Sounds an okay price to me (or a bargain if the radiator pipe boxing is complicated) but do check exactly what will be required to finish the job if not included - eg masticing tops of boards where they touch the wall if there are gaps, removal of old skirting, etc.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Find out time involved and price materials.

Do maths. Wage prices online for guide.

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

How long did they say the job will take?

7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

£365 sounds like a day rate + materials for this job, so seems ok to me.
    All depends on the condition of the bottom of the wall - if there are secure battons etc there already then quite straightforward, but if there is a big cavity and battens need fixed to crumbling bricks etc then it will be quite a bit more involved.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly.

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

And of course trying to blindly second guess the guy whose actually seen the job is hardly conducive to an accurate costing. ;)

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also depends on the materials/skirting the guy has priced for and what you have asked for

Is this skirting going to match what's in the rest of the house and match the architraves as well ?

Could be cheap, shallow skirts around 69mm say chamfered or pencil profile which is a lot cheaper than 169mm Ogee / Tourus / etc

I presume you know exactly what you've been quoted for in terms of materials ?

11. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

I had a roofer re- bed a hip tile for me this morning £100 . He was there 40mins so I recon your quote is reasonable if he’s supplying materials & labour