Filling in screw holes with filler

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by mbrijun, May 21, 2020.

1. mbrijun

mbrijun Member

Hi, does anyone have any good tips on how to properly fill in screw holes with filler? In the past I would simply use a filling knife, but I suspect the filler never reaches the bottom of the hole. Thank you.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Filling holes in what though ?

Walls / timber / other /

I guess in one way, does it really matter if filler goes full depth - say you’ve removed a red plug and screw from the wall (that’s a common scenario)

I push in as much filler with a knife, then push more in with my finger and keep adding until no more will go in, then smooth off with a knife

Depending on the filler and how deep the hole is, some shrinkage is common so often a 2nd skim over is needed

Always good to get the dust out b4 filling so either hoover nozzle or risk a sandstorm in your eyes and blow out !

Larger holes in wall I tend to PVA first, 1-5 water mix

Hope that helps ?

3. mbrijun

mbrijun Member

Hi DIYDave, thank you for replying. My question was about walls, as you have guessed correctly. I would like to end up with a wall that can be drilled into without worrying about any old holes being nearby. The filler I use is the Toupret interior classic (one coat) which needs to be mixed with water. I have read about people using large syringes, but have not tried such thing myself.

4. mbrijun

mbrijun Member

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Lightweight filler after pulling out plastic plug and blowing dust out. Little brush of pvain hole, you can use wood glue. Its quick drying then over with ready mixed or powder filler mixed up about 2 hours later. Job done.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I think you may be over thinking what is a simple, straightforward job here :)

Yes, like all things, results depend on method used and materials used
    So I've mentioned removing dust and pva (as did Wayners, and he's a pro) !

And the Toupret filler is quality stuff, often gets recommended on this forum

Just depends if your planning on drilling in exact spot as previous hole or just talking generally about drilling holes in the wall over the future
    I mean, what's the chances of hitting a previous 6mm hole when you next drill to hang an item ?
    Unless your wall resembles a slice of swiss cheese ??? o_O

As for light weight fillers, I've never used the tube stuff but have used Red Devil and One Strike ready mixed - don't like them and wont use again. Never dries as hard as a powdered filler and is weird to sand, almost like rubber

You've got the Toupret so use it. Clean out hole, pva maybe ? but difficult to get in a 6mm hole and any that runs down wall (it will as uv diluted it 1-5) wipe off with wet cloth as can cause problems to future painting. Add filler, push in with scraper and finger, top up, push in again, scrape over, allow to dry, light skim over if shrinkage is apparent, sand, - job done

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIYDave.

Lightweight filter is good for some jobs. Around hinges as low water content. Lot's use on cornice. Great for papering over and anywhere you want to fill and have it dry in a few hours or even 30mins. Just top off with something nicer. It's brilliant if you use it for the correct job. I always carry but many turned away from it not understanding what it's good for. I fill with it then a ready mixed drywall over and sand. More to speed up job time when needed.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, thanks for the tips Wayners, looks like it may have been 'operator error' (me :)) when using lightweight filler as guess I filled completely to wall surface and then attempted to sand down

Other thing is as not decorating all the time, ready mixed tends to dry up when I've next got a use for it so will stick with Toupret and Easifill powdered

In terms of fast setting though, not much beats out of date bonding plaster, gets nice and warm as it dries, gives you around 10 mins working time (depending on how out of date it is) and its set not much after that. Can be smoothed over with a wet blade and/or sanded smooth or as you've said, skimmed over with something nicer

Obviously couldn't bond out a wall with it but for rapid hole filling, its a time saving miracle ! :D

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIYDave.

I only spot fill with lightweight filler. Have filled along solid oak as low water content so won't effect wood. Also good for internal grot jobs where wood is rotten to tart up. Good along skirting gaps prior to caulk.
    Also good around pattress boxes because of low water content. It's the deep fills where you cut down drying. Keep tub clean around internal sides. Flatten filler and cover with plastic or tin foil and will keep. You can add a few drops of water if required especially in summer.
    I have applied mesh tape with it but not ideal. I topped off with terraco and finish was great but no advantage over just terraco or other ready-mix. I love the ready mixed stuff now. Can easily knock time off a job and material waste using it. 24 inch fan blasting air also speeds up job drying time.

DIYDave. likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member