power shower rcd ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bobbybobbob, May 22, 2020.

1. bobbybobbob

bobbybobbob New Member

thanks, guys for all your brilliant advice. I got crack on with a project on the laptop now but will pick this up tomorrow. Confident that between you I will get it solved. Thanks again

2. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

That is very clever but is nothing to with electrical work. You have admitted to not knowing the difference between a MCB and RCD, and you are incorrectly calling a CU a fuse board.
    Time to get in a sparks I think.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Check the connections in the pull switch, there could be a loose one there which would be arcing and cutting off the supply, you will easily tell because there's likely to be signs of burning.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  4. Walk into most peoples houses and ask "where is your consumer unit" and you will get a blank glaze.
    Ask where the fuse board is and you will immediately get told it's whereabouts.

sparky steve likes this.
  5. Banallsheds

Time to educate them then. If someone asked me that question I would say I don't have one, it was removed 16 years ago.

6. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Similar experience if you ask do you have a vacuum cleaner, same blank expression:confused: rephrase to hoover & no problem:)

7. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

banallsheds is probably one of those that tells little old ladies they need a full rewire when all they asked for was a new socket!

8. Banallsheds

I don't think so. Most people know what a vacuum cleaner is.

9. Banallsheds

I don't do and never have done rewires.

10. sparky steve

When did you carry out the survey on this?
    Ah i see, “i don’t think so”. Obviously an answer based on your thought with no actual foundation:p

11. sparky steve

You did realise Deleted member 11267 was referring to a consumer unit & not your brain?:eek::p

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Reminds me of a chat I had with a BT engineer who told me of his visit to an elderly couple. BT had instructed engineers to identify themselves as calling from BT Openreach when making home visits. However, on this occasion it wasn't until he explained that he was the 'man from the Post Office about the phone' did he gain access to the property. It always pays to talk to customers using the terms they are familiar with and understand. If it is good enough for Google it should be good enough for the rest of us.
    upload_2020-5-23_8-44-27.png

14. Banallsheds

The stupidity of the people who run Google is breathtaking don’t you think.

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

In the main hay google "question" does give a good answer, however not every time, so hay google what is an RCD, gets residual current device, but first time I asked it thought I had said RC and it quotes from wikipedia so any error on wikipedia it repeats. So I got resistance/capacitance circuit, a term used in electronics, and Radio control, a technology found in remote control vehicles and Reflection coefficient of a circuit and Remote control, a technology found in home entertainment devices.

I was told many years ago it's not a vacuum cleaner, it does not produce a vacuum and if it did it would need a seal to the floor so would pick up no dirt, it is an air velocity cleaner, it relies on the air rushing past the dirt to pick it up, the large model I was working on, often called a road sweeper, needed around an inch gap all round the pick up funnel and with that gap it would suck up a half house brick, but set it to 1/4 inch and it was useless.

However if I walk into a shop and ask for an air velocity cleaner I will likely be met with a blank expression, so we have to use common words, even if wrong, turbo is short for a turbine, and they are used with cars to boost the inlet air pressure, however it seems to be used for anything which preforms more than normal, as to smart, that seems to now mean it connects to a mobile phone, nothing to do with being cleaver.

Some words seem to have reversed their meaning, decimate mean to kill one in ten, but today it seems to mean get rid of 9 in 10 a complete reversal.

As electricians we know what MR16 means, it is a multi faceted reflector 16/8th inch diameter, many GU10 and G5.2 LED bulbs don't have a reflector, so are not technically MR16 but we still call them MR16 not MR16 compatible.

Banallsheds likes this.
  16. bobbybobbob

bobbybobbob New Member

All fixed guys, thanks for your help. Whoever said check switch was correct. Inside the actual switch (that bit you're not meant to take apart) was chargrilled. Must have been arcing inside somehow!
    Anyway, new switch, tightened all terminals tighter than a nuns chuff and everything now working beautifully. Thanks again

17. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Did you cut back all the insulation and wire that was charred? BTW, you do not need to operate the switch every time you use the shower...