Best way to damp proof this wall

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Sam9696, May 22, 2020.

1. Sam9696

Sam9696 Member

Looking at the best way to damp proof this wall previously having rising damp issues

wall has been injected outside but it’s 9inch thick so was told to inject the inside also but was a bit tricky as the wall is just lumps of stone in the inside with next to no mortar.

tried a DPM but wall started crumbling so can’t get a good enough fix for the membrane.

I’ve seen so many videos saying render it and so many saying no!

5:1? scratch coat 6:1 top coat with SBR in the mix. Does this really work???

Attached Files:

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Where's the water coming from?

3. Sam9696

Sam9696 Member

looked like from the front of the property as the garden is higher than the property although the neighbours are claiming the damp is caused by an old iron water pipe underneath the house which I don’t think is the reason

4. Joe the Plumber

There's no point in doing anything else until you've located and eliminated the source of the water. Once that's done,
    the damp problem will simply disappear.

This answer applies to every 'damp proofing' question ever asked.

Sorry Sam, it's nothing personal. You've innocently wandered into an area of particular interest to me, and it's one in which
    the majority of accepted "solutions" come from the back of a covered wagon out on the prairie.

5. Sam9696

Sam9696 Member

I agree but in this instance I’m looking at what can be done to prevent the damp not stop it

6. Joe the Plumber

In which case, I'll leave you to it.

Astramax and WillyEckerslike like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Three coats of Synthaprufe, follow the instructions.

Sam9696 likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

This.

IMHO there are 3 sources of damp.

1) leaks from gutters, windows, pipes, flashings etc, and water entrapment in the wall from renders, non-breathable plasters etc on solid walls.
    2) unventilated condensation - far more common than people think
    3) "salt" damp caused by trapped salts, often associated with coal fires.

I also think that injected damp proof courses etc are useless

Joe the Plumber likes this.