Waste to soil pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dan-DSD, May 22, 2020.

1. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

As with all these things, I've a small job that's turned into a mare.
    Changed a leaking washing machine waste trap and seemingly have somehow dislodged sediment in the pipe causing a blockage as the sink is/was draining slowly. Upon investigation, there was tons of gloop in the pipe, some of which I've managed to remove but I fear I may have pushed more further down the pipe as the sink will now not empty.
    As the hero that fitted the kitchen put all piping behind the units and they are older, solvent fix joins, I can't access them to remove or clean. However, the waste pipe exits the building, does a 90° turn and then enters the cast iron soil pipe in the conservatory.
    I'm thinking that my only way out of this is to cut the join outside by the soil pipe, clear down the blockage and then replace the pipe between where it exits the building and joins the soil pipe. If so, is it as simple as buying a new soil pipe connector, some 40mm pipe/angles and re-connecting it all?
    Cheers
    Dan

2. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

This is the join I'm talking about

Attached Files:

3. ohitsaidwalker

ohitsaidwalker New Member

Hi Dan, seems drastic as a first option to me, would some form of chemical agent not be worth a try?
    Or and apologies maybe I haven't gotten the correct end of the proverbial stick but the sink end offers some form of access, (maybe with sink removed ?) and some form of rodding
    https://www.toolstation.com/zep-com...1K7hvgiQ0dVYL0u17D9XJBAfOrMje3VhoCYmgQAvD_BwE

https://www.toolstation.com/waste-p..._KSTAGvaL-EvIQD9b3VKBOsKstwjW0wRoC-7YQAvD_BwE

https://www.toolstation.com/rothenb...dobzCUKnuBtdKlSUyJv9uQ-Imfqs9PQRoCNZoQAvD_BwE

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-migh...17QdTi37dINznf-kbaKdvLaKvqoA2UuxoCPy4QAvD_BwE

Just thoughts no experience of any of the products offered- Please check suitability of your specific needs.
    Good luck

4. ohitsaidwalker

ohitsaidwalker New Member

Is the 90 degree on the left plastic and push fit?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The soil pipe isn't cast iron ,it's plastic.
    The joints in pic look like push fit.
    Are you sure the internals are solvent welded ?
    Push fit can be taken apart ,and mechanical drain cleaner used.

6. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

It goes into a cast iron soil stack. Looks like the joins are solvent welded and fixed, no option I can see to pull apart?

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Those joints in the photos maybe be stiff/impossible to move, but they aren’t solvent weld. Hot water, cold water and a little elbow grease. ;)

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  8. As Terry and Abrickie say the joints are push fit and should come apart, however I would try a good dose of One Shot which should clear it.

9. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

Cheers gents, I shall have a dig about tomorrow and report back. Have tried two doses of Mr Muscle but applied from the sink end which is a good 4 ft away after the trap, I dont think it's getting as far as the blockage tbh. If i can crack open that joint, its straight thru so hopefully can de-gunge from there.

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Deffo pushfit

Timbo66 likes this.
  11. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

Silly question but how do they separate?

12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

The opposite of push ;)

13. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

So no twisting etc? There is no flexibility in them to pull them apart is my concern

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There probably isn't enough give / free play to just pull them apart. You will need a short piece of pipe ,to use as replacement . Then cut through , in the centre of, the short horizontal pipe.
    You can then pull off the elbow ,from the pipe that comes thru the wall. It's probably worth buying a new elbow also ,as it may not re seal if you try to re use it.

15. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

Cheers, I had considered trying that and was worried about the soil stack end as well...

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You would just have a " stub" of pipe left to pull out of the fitting at the soil pipe ,and only one rubber seal in it. I would think that will be ok . Before re assembling ,use washing up liquid on outside of pipe ,and inside fittings as a lubricant. Make sure pipe ends are cut ,cleanly and squarely ,and file a chamfer / taper on pipes outside edges. They will go together much easier.

17. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You definitely cannot see the pipe that goes through the wall inside ?

18. Dan-DSD

Dan-DSD New Member

Its fitted behind a unit and I'm pretty sure the blockage has now been pushed into the elbow part of it if you get what I mean

19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Best re think cutting that pipe, if you’ve got to cut it to dismantle how is it going to go back ?? ;)

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The length of the short horizontal pipe has to be measured carefully. The elbow will accommodate around 34mm of pipe ,but only half that will be needed to make a seal. So when cut pipe is inserted into elbow,the other end should virtually touch the inlet to the fitting at soil pipe ,just enough to clear it.
    So fit pipe to elbow ,elbow to pipe at wall. Then pull horizontal pipe ,part way out elbow and part into the fitting at soil pipe ( around half and half).
    That's the only way to do it ,if the pipe coming through the wall is not accessible ,and further disassembly at the soil stack is to be avoided.