Painting Garage Beam Ends

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Raul B, May 24, 2020.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi

I’m renovating my garage and part of the job is to cut off an inch of wet rot to some (external to the roof) of the wooden beams, sand them, seal/paint them, fill them if required n then cover them with a fascia board.

What products best to use for sealing/painting the beam ends. In future I don’t expect it to rot as I’m eliminating the cause of it by covering it with fascia boards n silicon sealing it!

Note; I do have Bedec Barn paint which I bought to paint some wooden cladding. Not sure if this is strong enough?

Thanks in advance.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just a clear timber all round preservative would be all you need, no point in painting something that's covered over.

3. Raul B

Raul B Member

So just use the preservative? What about Leyland undercoat for interior n exterior wood, can I just use that as I have it spare?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No point...it's covered over so protected.....if you must paint use the Barn Paint as it is far superior than any Leyland undercoat.

Raul B likes this.
  5. Raul B

Raul B Member

Thanks a lot for your replies Astramax, appreciated.