Drilling hole in between table slats?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FatTony1878, May 29, 2020.

1. FatTony1878

FatTony1878 New Member

HI All,

I have a chunky picnic table that I would like to fit a parasol to. The problem I have is that the table has 4 slats so the hole for the parasol pole will be in between the slats.

Basically I have to cut two half moon holes into the each bit of wood. Any ideas on how to do this and what drill bit would be required? I've already got a flat wood spade bit but other sites seem to suggest it wont give a fine enough cut and will damage the table. Any thoughts?

TIA

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Hole cutter?

3. FatTony1878

FatTony1878 New Member

I didn't think I would get one deep enough (6-7cm) as most of the bits I've looked at are quite shallow. I'll have another look. Cheers

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If the pilot drill for a holesaw slips between the slats either fill the gap in temporarily with a small wedge tapped in flush or just below so you have a solid surface to start the holesaw off on, or use a forstner bit and drill overlapping holes.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Drill from both sides.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Clamp a piece of wood all the way across and use a hole cutter all the way through...
    or you could use double sided tape to stick a piece on.
    Cando

Mr Rusty likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Probably the best way, using 15-20mm thick and then once a good start has been made into the table slats, the extra timber can be removed and cutting continued through the table. Sand paper to clean up the edges, all done in 10 minutes.

Mr Rusty likes this.
  8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select