Facing bricks below DPC??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark83, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

I am building an extension and The existing house is built with LBC heathers which go right down to the concrete footings. My architect has spec’d for facing bricks to be used below dpc. My question is should I use the heathers below dpc or get engineering bricks with an obvious eye soar?? thanks

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

This the same architect who said you couldn’t use trench blocks because of the resistance to damp ? :rolleyes: Lol

3. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

Haha well remembered! Just spoke to the BC and he said I must use engineering bricks so no discussion on that unfortunately :p

4. DL1123

DL1123 New Member

5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

LBC's are totally ****, I just wouldn't use them ever

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

You have a DPC so why would you want blues except if you expect the
    Why? You have a dpc and a LBC with a F1 absorption rating and 25N/mm2 strength, unless its to maintain the vernacular of the existing buildings it seems to be a pointless exercise other than the BCO having an ego trip.

7. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

Yeah I font think F1’s are supposed to be used below DPC ... but to be quite honest every house near me was bashed up in the 50’s with heathers below DPC and they’re still in brilliant condition ‍♂️

8. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Not in the North East!!

9. Mark83

Mark83 New Member

heathers looking rough?

10. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I guess it all depends where in the pit the clay came from and no doubt todays manufacturing process is quicker and somehow cuts corners and quality in the interests of profit

11. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Where i come (north east) from there are two very large brickworks, the very poorest quality common produced actually has more compressive strength than the best LBC I could find!