Single Brick Insulation problems!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Conor Mathews, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Conor Mathews

Conor Mathews New Member

Hi there, I was wondering would anyone have any advice.

My house is a Single Brick (survey never thought to mention that). I got loft insulation put down and it seems to help with the overall heat retention of the house. However, the kitchen extends out of the house - it looks like an extension but apparently isn't. It's single brick. So cannot get cavity insulation or loft insulation. The kitchen feels like it hits sub-zero temperatures sometimes, its that cold. So not only, is it bad enough a main room like the kitchen being that freezing, a lot of the house's heat seems to be lost out through the kitchen, even with doors closed etc.

I had a builder out who says he does a lot on insulation. He actually lives in a similar house in the area so has the same singlebrick construction in his own house.

He recommended getting a double radiator put in first as that what he's done in his kitchen and he said it made the world of the difference. But will all that extra heat from the double radiator not just be lost out the un-insulated walls and roof anyway? He quoted £265 for that job.

He says if we wanted to go down the more extensive route, it would involve taking out the kitchen and putting insulated plasterboard down, Thermalite. Quoted at £2660.

Sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any advice on what is the best route forward?
    Another idea I had was just to put plasterboard down on one wall - the wall with the radiator. This would mean the kitchen woudln't need removed etc. Would that work?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Look up EWI, External Wall Insulation.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is this wall an interior of an exterior wall.

4. Conor Mathews

Conor Mathews New Member

Sorry not quite sure what you mean.

I'll put a photo up here,

upload_2020-6-3_12-28-18.png

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So is it the inside of this wall where the radiator will be is what I am asking if so you could use the insulated plaster board on that wall or look into what Jord has suggested with having the exterior side insulated.

6. Conor Mathews

Conor Mathews New Member

Sorry I see what you mean now. Yes it's the inside of the wall. So you think I could get away with plasterboarding just that wall and not having to gut the whole kitchen?

EWI is probably more pricey no?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That wall insulated would help make a difference to the room as Tesco says 'any little helps', EWI would involve more costs. Can you not gain access into the loft area even by temporary removing some roof tiles to do so.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To insulate internally, it's going to be upheaval, no other way around it.

There are lots of solutions, but all involve spending money, and some form of aggravation. You could insulate the ceiling by cutting a hatch, climbing up and installing 300mm of rockwool between and over the joists, however, you would need to introduce ventilation to your roofspace which you don't currently have via the soffits and installing several vent tiles/slates.

I think they're naff and I wouldn't know but there may be some decent plinth heaters on the market today, coupled with a radiator it's probably the quickest, cheapest, easiest source of heat you'll get.

9. Conor Mathews

Conor Mathews New Member

Yeah I think so! I don't think there is a lot of room in between the roof of the ceiling and the roof but def worth a go!

10. Conor Mathews

Conor Mathews New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into plinth heaters! Could be a viable option. Probably looking to sell the house in the next year or two so not sure I want to invest £5k+ into works. I'll def look into the other options you gave. Thanks a million.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You answered my question, if you’re selling in a couple of years, save your money and wear a jumper ;)

Mr Rusty likes this.