Rsj size for sleeper retaining wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Glarhzilla, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

Changed my original plans of using gravel boards. And I've decided to use Rsj and sleeper combo. Rsj cemented vertically into the ground then sleepers slotted in. The sleepers I've looked at are 200mmx100mmx1.2m. I don't know what size Rsj to use. 152x152x23kg? Issue being a 5cm gap. Would you suggest using this and packing them out at the back to push them flush? Could use Packers they use for pvc window installation? Or is there any size Rsj you could suggest using? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks (Posted in landscaping aswell didn't know where to post)

2. Greentram

Greentram Member

3. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

As far as my searches and knowledge I don't think we sell them here in the UK.

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You didn’t try very hard then lol, google is a wonderful tool :rolleyes:

5. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

Care to share ?

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

In the time it took to type that you could have typed 100x100 rsj into google and have ordered them :D

7. Greentram

Greentram Member

Yes, but the Aussie ones are supplied in a variety of lengths and are hot dip galvanised after cutting so should have a much longer life than painted ordinary mild steel.

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

So are the ones sold here as fence posts, google away :rolleyes:

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

How high is wall? What kind of soil?

You probably don't need a lot of strength in the steels as you're going to have them at fairly close centres.

125x76 UB will probably do you

10. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

The wall will be 900mm and the soil is hard clay soil. Looks like a rock face it's that hard.

11. Greentram

Greentram Member

Yes, the most likely point of failure is the posts shifting because they're not deep enough in the ground. Here our rule of thumb is as much below as above, though what's necessary is obviously a function of the soil type. In firm clay a post hole borer is the way to go. And make sure that there's suitable drainage at the base of the wall.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    stevie22 and Glarhzilla like this.
  12. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

Yeah my plan was to purchase 1800mm beams. What would your suggestion be regarding the Rsj sizing? Because I don't want to spend money on Rsjs which are over kill in size , leading to higher costs. Been looking at Jarrah wood sleepers or hardwood tropical which are 125 thick. I assume better and longer lasting than standard pressure treated soft wood.

13. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

A 152x89 UB would take the 125 thick sleeper. Extra cost around £10/ beam.

Alternative is to stick to the smaller beam and notch the sleepers to suit

Glarhzilla likes this.
  14. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

Thanks for the advice think I may opt for 152x89 ub. I'm probably overthinking it anyway. People use wooden posts which I assume are inferior to and form of steel work.

15. TheEstonian

TheEstonian New Member

Wow aren’t you helpful ul

16. TheEstonian

TheEstonian New Member

I’m wanting to do something very similar. How did you get on? Any advice?

17. ChrisKent

ChrisKent New Member

Did you use
    Hi. Did you find a supplier for RSJ fence posts? I can’t find anything in UK for end posts or corner posts (like Aussie Retain-It system) made for a sleeper wall.

18. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Any decent fabrication place will make what you want. Use chanel for ends, two chanels welded at off set for a corner

19. Glarhzilla

Glarhzilla Member

Hi mate. I didn't go down this route as in the end the cost became more than I wanted to spend for the amount I needed. Steels alone were approx £1-1.5k that was to have them powder coated also.