Roof on structure

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ajaz, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Hello. Let me start by saying my builder ghosted on me after taking money... Right ok, I have 3m x 3m shed that's being built. The blockwork is up and now needs timber roof structure and tiling. I would greatly appreciate some advice on what timber I need and how to go about making it.. I know I need joist hangers but that's about it. Just about a DIYer as you can clearly tell. thanks for your help

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Might no need joist hangers, depends on roof type, picture and what is your proposed roof construction/layout

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not all builders are cut from the same cloth, don't let it sour you. What style of roof are you going for? Where in the country are you?

4. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

It is a pitch roof with. It is a shed attached to current building. I will send picture In next post. Just need to take fresh pictures. Thank you for your reply.

5. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

h

Thanks jord86. But I've been left in a mess. I'm in Nottingham. Thanks

6. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Tiled pitch roof. Thanks

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hours away I'm afraid.

A double pitched roof where it slopes down each side and runs into your main house ie a gable end roof, or a single pitch roof where it slopes away from your main house wall ie a lean to roof?

8. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

No idea why but It won't let me upload the images. Thanks

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

2mb or less apparently.

Ajaz likes this.
  10. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Yes double pitch. Thanks

11. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

It didn't let me still. No idea

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Post your photos when you can and we'll take it from there.

13. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

14. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Pictures are up. Thank you for your replies

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's going to be a monopitch roof not a gable, presumably there was an old outbuilding there which you demolished and rebuilt, looking at the lead soakers in your house wall?

16. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Yes there was an outbuilding which we demolished. I'm not very technically minded so please forgive me if I repeat questions. On the outside wall the blockwork needs to be cut according to the pitch

17. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Just out of curiosity was the original outbuilding demolished recently ? :)

18. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Hi abrickie, no it's been a while to be fair. Cheers

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Ok few observations. The roof slopes down from the high wall to the wall with door in? If so the wooden lintel doesn’t look good enough. I’d prefer concrete lintel

second do you have tiles/slate? That looks shallow pitch so you’ll need to watch the headlap.

Without sizes cannot really advise on joist size I’m afraid.

just a thought: you might want to consider tile effect sheet steel. Very lightweight and easier to make watertight on shallow putch

20. Ajaz

Ajaz New Member

Hello Johnathon. Yes the roof slopes from high wall to the where the door is.. I asked for pitch roof with tiles. The builder bought 600x300 man made slate tiles.. The slope was a lot less and I had to do a couple of courses at the back myself after he ghosted... The dimensions are 2.8m x 2.8m.. From back wall (starting point of slope/top end) to the lower part (door end) it measures 3.2m... If you could share a little information on the tile effect sheet. I'll consider it too. Thanks