Porch new windows - price

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Muzungu, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

It's one of those "what do you think of the price?" posts so I beg your indulgence.

Need new windows in the porch, 4 in total as per pics. No openers (porch is in shade all day) and white georgian bar.

Local company with long and good reputation and do domestic and commercial, no salesmen.

£1200, opinions would be gratefully received. upload_2020-6-10_10-12-27.png upload_2020-6-10_10-13-15.png

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Timber to replace, or pvc? Fitting included? Depends on the company, several employees, a factory, warehouse and vehicles on the road will command a higher quote than one man band Joe who orders them in and pays a boy thirty quid for a day, and may not offer any form of recourse if ever required.

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks Jord; apologies for not being more explicit. PVC, fitting and making good. Local company with own branded vehicles (not franchise), employees, website, premises etc. but, as I say, no salesmen. The guy who came out was in a company van and not a suited up salesman.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There doesn't look anything wrong with what you've got, they look very nice. I don't think it's a shocking price personally, a bit on the steep side being as they're all fixed and no openers, you could probably get them a couple hundred cheaper if you hunt around everywhere, but if they make good the interior after fitting (properly, not stick bloody trims everywhere) and if they've got a good name then I'd put them in the shortlist.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for that. I did some work on them last year as the frames were beginning to rot and they look a lot worse than the pictures show, in fact one was rotted almost through. It does go against the grain for me to replace wood windows (forgive the pun) but I am thinking I just have to bite the bullet as I really don't want to spending the time on them every year. These are the last windows in the house that are still the original wood from 35 years ago. I could dig out the putty, it's shrunk and cracked and make good the wood, then paint but am I just bodging them up.

There are five other houses on the street with identical porches and I am the last with the original wood, by several years!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wooden windows (depending on the timber and finish obviously) can quite happily last a lifetime, the problem is people don't want to get up a ladder periodically to maintain or repaint them or to break out the sandpaper and make a mess, they only start to look to rectify issues once the rot has set in, by which time they look to replace, not repair. The fact everyone else in your street has replaced them with pvc doesn't make them correct, they're just lazier than you ;)

Muzungu likes this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I will console myself with the fact that I will be the only one with the original wood door that I am keeping as I much prefer it to the UPVC that everyone else has.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Second quote £1600 and they couldn't get close to the first, I told them what it was after being given theirs.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Where in the country are you?

10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

North Tyneside.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Careful with their coin up there I've heard ;) see what another couple of quotes comes in at, and what their attitude is like then you'll have your forerunner.

Muzungu likes this.
  12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, I have got a base level coming tomorrow, man in a van (with rusty wheel arches) who I happened to pass on my afternoon constitutional and noticed his van was sign written for window fitting. Not going to go with him but I will then have a cut price bodger price (perhaps), a local company price and then another local company but with salesmen and advertising as a top price. Maybe I should get a national company quote as well just for interest.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't judge a book by its cover, he may know more and do a better job than all of them put together. Judge his attitude, words he uses in regards to the job and whether he plans to make the reveals good inside or just fit beading over any damage, that will sort him into a particular pile very quickly.

Muzungu likes this.
  14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Agreed. On reflection, I think I didn't word that post very well and made what may be unjustified assumptions.

Jord86 likes this.
  15. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Look for S&M Windows in the directories.

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Ouch.

17. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I'll give them a go, thanks. Just up the road from me.

18. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just another quick one. Is it worthwhile getting someone with FENSA registration or do some of the good installers not bother? Is it a good scheme?

19. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Check your insurance, they may insist on FENSA. I believe FENSA is the only glazing/glazier scheme and is more of a satisfying building control kind of thing.

20. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Muzungu, have you considered putting one vented window in??
    Even if you put a chain on it to only open 50mm...