Garage lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by callarla, Jun 8, 2020.

1. callarla

callarla New Member

Hi all. I currently have a single bulb lighting my garage. I’d like to have a few fixtures added so need to know the easiest way please. The ceiling isn’t plaster boarded so any wiring would need to run along the joists so my question is - is ok to put a junction box/wago box at each joist to feed each light fitting and therefore save having run cable up to the fitting and then back along the joist to the wall and continue to the next or does the next light have to be fed from the previous ie wired into the ceiling Rose. Hope that makes sense (I’ve added a drawing with the left side using one light fitting to feed the next and the right side using junction box along the side of the garage wall) and any answers would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

You can keep the existing ceiling rose or replace with a junction box to feed the other light fittings. Just check that an earth is present at the ceiling rose if the new fittings require an earth.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And even if they don't require an earth.

nigel willson likes this.
  4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Are they all one one switch?

If so, run the SwL, N & E along one side then break in and T-off to each light, or if, in some places more appropriate continue from one light to the next.

5. callarla

callarla New Member

currently there is only one light fitting but yes, ideally they will be on one switch. Currently the cable runs along the right hand wall and then along the ceiling joist to the one light.
    Thanks for your help.

6. FlyByNight

What will be the total rating of te lights? I hope they are not all 500w halogens but 3-5w LEDs

7. callarla

callarla New Member

Yes; will all be LED. The new set up will probably draw less the the existing single bulb but have a better distribution of light for working in the garage.

8. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

Better to avoid junction boxes if possible. Also a couple of metres of extra T&E is cheaper than a JB.

9. robgul

robgul Active Member

The LED battens from Screwfix are brilliant - and not that expensive (the connectors are fiddly, I just cut them off and used terminal block strip for the wiring) - my workshop has two doubles and it's like an operating theatre in there!!

Rob

10. callarla

callarla New Member

Thanks. I did have a look at those and will quite possibly opt for them.

11. callarla

callarla New Member

Other than cost what would be the reason for avoiding them?

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Any connection is a possible point for a fault.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Junction boxes are an odd accessory really. You can argue that there is no need for them when installing a new circuit. They tend to be used in situations where it makes something easier to do. Used with care they can be a time saver. I don't agree that they should be avoided. They are no worse than any accessory; sockets, switches, fcu's. All have screw terminals so adding junction boxes is no worse.

14. callarla

callarla New Member

Thanks. Sort of what I was thinking. Junction box didn’t seem any worse joint wise than using a screwed ceiling rose. I was probably going to use wago connectors (hope that’s not a controversial thing to say)

15. FlyByNight

If it is going to be visible - the WagoBox does not look wonderful, the Ashely/Hager/Rock J803 which is fitted with Wago connectors looks a lot tidier. J803 should be fine as you probably only have SwL, N & E or if there is a location where fed Live is there too, J804.

16. Banallsheds

But fitting JB is an additional joint in this case rather than an alternative one.

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What is 'an alternative joint'? What is an additional joint? Fitting an additional socket is a joint. Fitting an extra fcu is a joint. Smoking a big fat rolley stuffed with cannabis is a joint. Your remark is pointless. There is no guidance on the number of joints allowed on a circuit. You are just posting banal comments for the sake of posting. Btw, I got a warning for inappropriate behaviour. Did Screwfix Peter have anything to say about your antagonistic behaviour? Or is just acceptable to be banal and post drivel. Looking forward to your exciting response.

19. Banallsheds

An additional joint is an extra one. The OP wanted to put a JB to each light rather than running a cable in and out. That means there is an additional joint, an additional point of possible failure.

I should heed your warning if I were you.

I had something similar but thought it was a scammer as behaviour was misspelt in the title, not something I would expect from a genuine message.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I heed the warning. Your knowledge and understanding of electric work is so poor I would desist in giving advice. The only requirement for a junction box is it must be accessible. The use of them is not a possible point if failure any more than any accessory. What the OP proposes is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020