Celotex on top of boarding

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by PXR5, Jun 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PXR5

PXR5 Member

Part of my bungalow loft is boarded on top of the 100mm roof joists with rockwool underneath which obviously does not meet current thickness requirements. Would it be acceptable for me to lay 100mm Celotex boards on top of the existing chipboard and then lay another layer of boarding on top of the Celotex as this would save a huge amount of time and effort pulling up the existing rockwool and boarding.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Yes. You will need to look into whether your cables need derating and that any downlighters or transformers aren't affected.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Compressing more rockwool with more chipboard will do little in terms of heat retention as its not supposed to be compressed tightly, so no not really, plus you'll have a mare trying to get the chipboard to lay flat and join the tongues and grooves together. Better to take the chipboard up, fix new 4x2's or 89mm LCD perpendicular to the original joists, fill between with rockwool, then put the chipboard back down on these. Or, buy those loft leg contraptions and screw the new chipboard to them and rockwool the underneath.

4. WillyEckerslike

The OP wants to use celotex Jord, not rockwool.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Doh! :oops: I'm an idiot, rushing again reading words that don't exist, my apologies. As you said Willy, plus one to you. How are you anyway, any after-effects from youknowwhat?

6. WillyEckerslike

Thank you for asking. Yes. Fatigue. I've been back at work for coming up on three weeks and by the end of the day it's hard work staying awake. I'm fine until I stop then it really is like throwing a switch - luckily I'm working locally. I spend weekends asleep most of the time. My doctor is following it up and I'm waiting on some blood test results so we'll see what comes of that. Some basic internet research shows that lots of people report similar symptoms so I'm not alone. As ever though I consider myself lucky. This has been a disaster for so many people and in reality I've just been a bit poorly. You don't need to look far to find someone worse off than you. Are you still working?

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Obviously you know your own body better than anyone so you know when something is different or amiss, do you think you are pushing it going back to work until your cylinders are fully charged? Then again, four walls of your own home are enough to test your sanity after a little while. No, not really working at the moment thanks mate, doing 'charity builds' for friends and family here and there (you must know how it is, paid in friendship o_O but I suppose I should be glad to get out the house) but nothing paid since about three weeks ago.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Willy do you find you have good and bad days or are they all similar? I've been "not right" since almost the start and now find that I have 3 or 4 days waking up fine and hitting the wall mid to late afternoon but then a day or 2 when I have no energy at all

9. WillyEckerslike

They're all similar now Steve and the optimist in me thinks that I am slowly improving. This is however based on the fact that I have fewer evenings where I'm truly exhausted (as opposed to unusually tired) rather than anything else. Work has been somewhat varied in terms of physical exertion so It's a little hard to see a pattern based on that. I think Jord is right that I probably did too much too soon. I have seen a report where it is likened to flattening a part charged battery - I only fully recharge at the weekend when I'm asleep and then only part recharge each evening/night so I'm slowly depleting my reserves during the week.