Other trade brands for power tools

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RPI, Jun 16, 2020.

1. RPI

RPI New Member

I’m looking for some help.

I want to get a good trade cordless drill however looking at a lot of tradesman I see 3 camps

team dewar
    Team making
    Team Milwaukee

my question is this, are there other brand out there that people use that are good that I can’t think of

mum a plumber with two years sole trading and previously used both makita and dewalt

many thank guys and girls and hope you are all well and safe

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You've missed out Bosch and some people rate Ryobi kit.

Edit: Festool & Fein accidentally overlooked. In fairness to our hosts a lot of people like Erbauer tools.

Edit 2: Mafell

Edit 3: Metabo.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  3. What does mum recommend between makita and dewalt?

4. RPI

RPI New Member

**** typo sorry meant to say I’ve

5. RPI

RPI New Member

I’ve thought about them both I was told that tho I was more for diy but I have seen guys use ruining one stuff

6. WillyEckerslike

I've edited my first response because my brain wasn't in gear.

In your case I would invest in a phone with better spill chicken software before anything else.

Timbo66, malkie129 and Jord86 like this.
  7. RPI

RPI New Member

Sound advice mate

8. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I've used Makita kit for years and I'm very pleased with it, but there's lots of other good makes out there too.

Once you've started building up a quantity of a particular brand, it obviously makes sense to stick with it.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Dewalt for me, purely because the colour matches my eyes.

malkie129 and Joe the Plumber like this.
  10. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I use all Metabo. Purely through many years of positive experience. Someone else will completely disagree with me. That’s the nature of tools. Also had the odd bit of Marita over the years and provided Makita by work. No complaints on either but personally I don’t like De Walt.

Another reason to stick to a brand is most tools come in a universal stacking case nowadays which makes things awkward unless you buy just the case.

If you have no preference, look for some unbeatable deal, try that kit and if you like it, get more.

malkie129 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have used Black & Deker, carp, Bosch and the best yet is Hitachi. Spent a bit extra and got one wit 2 5Ah batteries and a metal chuck. That was 3 years ago, since then I have not used my mains powered drill. Hitachi every time for me.

12. WillyEckerslike

Doh! Completely forgot Hitachi. They have changed their name to Hikoki now though.

RPI likes this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I went with Milwaukee after having all my tools stolen, and to be honest it is over rated if I was to choose again I'd go with Hilti although expensive it quality gear, for DIY maybe DeWalt or Makita

WillyEckerslike and RPI like this.
  14. RPI

RPI New Member

That’s interesting I never thought of hilti

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have Hilti gear, but it really is too expensive in comparison to the high end tools of other brands.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. I've used a fair few brands over time, the longest lasting drills for me to date is a Dewalt and a Hitachi ( now hikoki ).
    The Hitachi cordless developed a fault with the chuck, Hitachi arranged collection, it was back inside a week, fitted with a new steel keyless chuck that had a added tightening nut, its bloomin powerful and can take some serious stick. I also have a mains Hitachi sds that makes easy work of everything thrown at it, including no fines walls and chopping a concrete lintel in half. The hikoki angle grinders are nice, well balanced and comfortable to hold, I lost the pin wrench for it just before the lock in saga, called hikoki who sent a spare, pretty good service considering.

--

17. Darkslider

Darkslider Member

I had to buy pretty much everything for renovating our first house, bought the £500 Erbauer kit from SF, and have added a vacuum, torch and angle grinder so far. Pretty pleased with it, I have Makita kit supplied by work and I'd say the Erbauer stuff is comparable in use, certain bits feel a little bit cheaper but the price difference more than makes up for it. Bare Makita tools are twice the price, but they're nowhere near twice as good.

18. RPI

RPI New Member

Just out of curiosity has anyone had experience with Stanley drills

19. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

Been using Milwaukee for 12+ years. Never had any problems despite serious abuse.
    e.g. using M18 sds for 4.5" core drilling.
    Never had battery issues either, which is more than can be said for Makita.

20. Darkslider

Darkslider Member

I had a fatmax combi, the latest one they're still selling, didn't get much use and the batteries both failed they both hardly hold any charge now. Other than that it was a decent drill, haven't seen any of the other kit to compare it but the range is really limited and they're not even that cheap really so I'd probably pick a different brand if it were me. Pluck up the extra for DeWalt if you like yellow :cool: