Painting an exterior wooden door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by OhMyGodItsMe, Jun 22, 2020.

1. OhMyGodItsMe

OhMyGodItsMe New Member

I’m looking for a bit of advice, I have a wooden white exterior back door. I am looking to eventually paint this with weathersheild Exterior High Gloss Conker.

Firstly to sand the wooden door down, would 120 grit sandpaper be ok to use?

Secondly, what undercoat would you recommend using on this prior to the high gloss?

Apologies if these questions are simple, it’s just I’ve never had to do this myself before? any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

120 grit will be ok to use, 150 would be better to use between undercoat and first gloss coat. Conker if I remember correctly is very dark brown so use a dark grey undercoat. High Gloss is the Dulux Trade variant, you can get an undercoat made up in the Conker shade from a Decorators Merchant. Wash the door and frame well with Sugar Soap and then rinse off before starting any further preparation work.

OhMyGodItsMe likes this.
  3. OhMyGodItsMe

OhMyGodItsMe New Member

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Would you recommend this undercoat?
    Leyland trade undercoat dark grey 2.5l (24508)

I could look at the hazelnut truffle as a different option, providing the undercoat above would be a perfect suit for both options.

Is this undercoat ideal?

4. OhMyGodItsMe

OhMyGodItsMe New Member

Also, could I use 150 grit sand paper for both parts or would you just recommend 120 grit first and 150 grit between coats?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

150 between coats. I am not familiar with Hazlenut truffle, general rule would be to use the same manufacturers system ie, undercoat and gloss.

OhMyGodItsMe likes this.
  6. OhMyGodItsMe

OhMyGodItsMe New Member

Perfect, thanks.