Is replacement of a Broken Junction Box notifiable?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by mitrekab, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mitrekab

mitrekab New Member

I have been clearing out my cellar making some space to do some homebrewing. Noticed a junction box with its lid(cover) sagging pushed the lib back up and it fell off. Looking ta the center screw the center screw is cracked so half is in and half is out.
    Am I allowed to switch of the electric to the ring (I have traced the wires back across the cellar celling to the consumer unit) and put a new junction box in? Or is this a step up from moving a socket so notifiable and thus means only a qualified sparky can do it.
    I could just squirt some araldite in the screw hole and put the screw back in but that seems a little shabby, how would a future electrician get in to the box. Would a future electrician need to open the box, been here 13 years and never had an electrician in the house ?

2. mitrekab and Hans_25 like this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If it were me I'd simply replace it.

mitrekab likes this.
  4. mitrekab

mitrekab New Member

Thanks, was going to as it seems making safe something has got to be better than leaving or bodging.
    Interesting you say incase I board the ceiling. I don't like all the steam going up to where all the wires and the junction box is so was looking at doing something.

5. rene moris

rene moris New Member

As we all know in the city like dubai we all need electrician. For inspection and testing you need a professional electric worker. if you need to upgrade lighting system you should follow electrician dubai . for cctv installing you need a electrician too. electrical panel update should be done with skilled and experienced electrician .

6. mitrekab

mitrekab New Member

Sorry not in Dubai, do they have screwfix in Dubai ?

7. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

You not seen the diamond encrusted Solid Gold VDE sparkey set yet?............ EXPORT only version

Pity they don't WagoBoxes in Gold....Only RED Black Grey ETC

8. But do they sell a gold plated, diamond encrusted torque driver and solid gold socket set ? if not then the catalogues a bit naff.

You can convert wago's to gold colour with some gold leaf, a task often left to the apprentice ;)

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Don't forget to do the insides as well :p

10. You don't see the inside so use brass leaf, cheaper :p

11. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Graphite spray is quicker & Cheaper
    Would the Junction Now be notifiable to the house insurance company as a expensive item :oops:

Deleted member 210637 likes this.
  12. You only notify the insurance company if its embellished in precious stones :D

13. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

But what about a JB that are studded with precious stones. EH JB that are surface mounted to show off the bling.

Easy to install
    Loads of $$
    :)

14. Very hard surface mounting them because there's a shortage of gold screws, unless you used screw gold caps. As you can tell, a lot of thought has gone into this, part of my get rich scheme if I ever end up in Dubai :p

15. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

They wont see the mounting screws, they inside the JB...use SF gold screw they never know
    Make up special range for superstars with too much dosh wannabee rappers like Snoop doggy Doo they buy stuff like this

16. Who ??? Snoop doggy Doo ? No wonder I'm skint, I'm mixing with the wrong sort of music people... classical, hinge and bracket...... sheesh :)