Is this treated?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Jul 8, 2020.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,
    I do lots of woodwork, as a hobby, making everything from small pencil boxes to chests of draws and coffee tables...
    I've been given a load of old 2 x 4 timbers, that were roof rafters... Liberated as a result of a neighbour having a loft extension...

The house was built in 1959... In Middlesex, NW London
    Apart from the nail holes they are in good condition, well seasoned, with no signs of decay, and a "Canada" mark....

BunchOfRafters.jpg

SingleRafter.jpg

CanadaMarking.jpg

So I know what projects NOT to use them in, are they likely to have been treated... and if so, is this treatment still effective after 60 years?

It doesn't matter either way, but if would be good to know whether or not to avoid using them for things such as children's toys,m or utensils, and whether or not the offcuts shouldn't be burnt?

Thanks for any opinions

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s an old Black and Decker Workmate !

I’ve got a newer one but also the same blue model that I ‘liberated’ from my local tip - just needed a new set of plastic leg clips and all good for another few decades

Sorry but can’t help you on your actual question :(

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dave I have an original metal alloy model, now that is old being circa 1970!

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Unlikely to be treated timber, does the timber have a green tint to it?

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They won't be treated, probably rough sawn douglas fir framing lumber or pitch pine. They'll probably be better quality than any equivalent you can buy today, certainly far more growth rings, it's good that you're looking to repurpose them rather than burn them and the offcuts incidentally go up in smoke marvellously.

stevie22 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. candoabitofmoststuff

Thanks folks!
    Bought in 1984, while working in Belfast... I needed something on which to rebuild the engine of my '63 Hillman minx! Big ends went on a journey back from the south!

Cando

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. candoabitofmoststuff

the wood is nice.. I've already build several coffee tables using it...

KevanTable.jpg ConservatoryTable.jpg DSCF1581.JPG

The "treated" issue only occurred to me recently, while working on something for outside!

Cando

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What finishing are you using, varnish, oil ?

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Nice work Cando. Your family and friends are lucky.

10. candoabitofmoststuff

No, not at all!
    Mostly I use wax, on top a shellac based sanding sealer, but the one with drawers is wax on top of a poly varnish... It was gloss varnish and just didn't look right, so I used wire wool to flatten it and waxed on top of that. That one came out really nice.
    Thanks.

Cando

11. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Pity you don't have the Hillman instead

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Amazing how many variants of the B&D Workmate have been produced and the ease that spare parts are available across the range, if you have the mindset to repair instead of instantly chuck away that is !

I have two and like the one in Cando's pic, they are both battle scarred and paint splattered but what does it matter ? It shows its been used and with the occasional spare part and maintenance, will live longer than me I'm sure !

I've seen some old models going for hefty prices on various selling sites as crazy as it sounds, they seem to be a collectable item
    You should check out your model number and see what the interest is like

A brand new 536 model (which is the modern version of the blue Workmate) can be had for around £60 which is great value

13. candoabitofmoststuff

It lasted with me a few more years after that... Couldn't keep up with the bodywork maintenance!

Cando

14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Sounds like my Vauxhall Victor of the same era

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.