Changing old thermostat for Hive plus question about “clock thing”

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dziaros91, Jul 9, 2020.

1. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

Hello, hopefully it is the right department for this question.
    Right, I’ll start with fact we moved to house we purchased and wanted change heating system for the Hive one (apparently saving money) and control temperature from the phone instead of running down stairs all the time. So actually I have Vailant combi boiler for heating and hot water obviously ran by gas. Next to the boiler (which is upstairs) I have something what looks like a timer/clock for heating (picture attached) and then downstairs just by entrance doors the temperature controlling tuner. I wanted to change it for Hive with Hub. All I assume is the thermostat replacing old one downstairs. Hub will be connected to Virgin Hub and then Receiver ? Where you mounting it ? Is it coming instead of the “clock/timer” thing ? Is all procedure of swapping devices difficult for someone who only changed light fittings in entire life ? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If your happy to have the hub in the current programmers location then it should be simple.
    The only issue is the current wall stat.
    This ideally needs wired out either at the stats location or at the other end of the cable.
    You can quickly just set it up with the old stat turned to maximum to check it all works. You may not need to alter any wiring to do this.

dziaros91 likes this.
  3. robgul

robgul Active Member

Simplest is to get the complete kit of Hive parts which comprises:

1 - Receiver - wired to and sited next to the boiler (in effect the "wiring centre");

2 - Hub - connected by cable to your broadband router (this is the bit that communicates with Hive where you can connect with WiFi or whatever and control everything);

3 - Hive thermostat ..... this is wireless so you can put it where you like.

We had Hive installed with a combi boiler and simply disconnected and threw away the old wired thermostat and controls.

If you go to the Hive website there are some pretty good instructions for installation and also an active Forum for help. The Hive package from Screwfix is cheaper than buying from Hive/British Gas!

... and finally the Hive plug/sockets are an excellent way of switching stuff on an off that may have been on a plug-in time switch before - likewise the Hive bulbs are useful (not cheap but again Amazon or Screwfix)

dziaros91 likes this.
  4. robgul

robgul Active Member

Perhaps I should clarify - there is no inter-unit wiring between the Receiver, Hub and Thermostat - it's all wireless using Wifi - I'm prety sure I'm correct in saying that you can ONLY use Hive with the dedicated 3 items of kit.

dziaros91 likes this.
  5. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

Maybe it's need to be replaced with this clock/timer thing ?

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Theres a good chance the hive receiver will just plug straight on to the programmers backplate.
    If you remove the programmer and show the wiring we can advise.

dziaros91 likes this.
  7. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

I Have Hive, receiver comes with special back box for the connections
    see pic...
    so chuck programmer and backplate IMG_0975.jpeg

dziaros91 likes this.
  8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The backplate will more or likely be identical and the wiring will probably be the same. It’s simply just removing the old and fitting the new.
    Hive just uses the standard backplate shared by many.

dziaros91 likes this.
  9. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

That helps a lot and boost my confidence, I will take the front tomorrow and post a picture

10. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I would guess the wiring will be exact the same.
    Show pictures first to clarify.
    Turn thermostat up to maximum.
    Replace old programmer with hive receiver.
    Set it all up and get it working.
    Once you know it’s all working the next step will be removing the old thermostat from the system. At this stage the old thermostat is still connected to the system and if turned down will stop hive working.
    The thermostat can either be wired together behind the stat or removed altogether. We will advise on this later.

dziaros91 likes this.
  11. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

Right, took off the programmer today and this is how it’s wired underneath it. Will this be any good for the Hive Reciver ? I’m getting it tomorrow

Attached Files:

12. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Yes that looks OK...
    Even if it wasn't...The NEW hive receiver will come with a brand new shiny back box anyway...
    Chill ;)

dziaros91 likes this.
  13. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

So I don't need to be eletrician/plumber expert to do this ?

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The hive will just clip straight on and will work providing the old thermostat is turned and kept fully at 30.
    No skills required to do this.

dziaros91 likes this.
  15. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

This bit is electrical and the wires IF correct look same as mine from left to right

No expert needed just common sense.
    The manual will have pictures of the connectors.You have a photo of before the Hive fitted

So fit hive box.
    Turn old stat up full to test hive temperature working.

If O.K then approach the removing of the old thermostat

dziaros91 likes this.
  16. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

Right, so receiver slotted perfectly on old backplate. Hub is connected and working. Problem is thermostat. Old one is working fine with heating, but the new hive one doesn’t do any effect on the heating, like it’s not connected or something. Took the face from old one and disconnected the red and brown wire after I’ve put heating on full. Thought when the old one is disconnected the new one will jump on its place but still no response from new one when I’m turning heating temperature over the target (heating set on manual)
    Also I checked both stickers on the back of programmer and new hive receiver and maybe it need to switch some cables around ? @METRO MARK counting on you ;-)

Attached Files:

17. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

HI, The cables connectors looked like they were in the right place....
    OK So with the stat on 30 or full, activating the hive does not bring the heating on
    so there are two green led on the front of the receiver that goes to the boiler
    Set hive to 30 stat to 30 and see if both green led illuminate

dziaros91 likes this.
  18. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

So this is the current situation, in the boiler screen should be “radiator” symbol

Attached Files:

19. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Ok looking good....so far...

Now leave hive as is it
    Is the flame symbol displayed on boiler ?

Go to OLD wall thermostat and increase to MAX 30

dziaros91 likes this.
  20. dziaros91

dziaros91 Member

I disconnected the old wall one, should I put it back ?