'Charlotte' High Level Cistern Flush Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by verynewtothis, Jul 14, 2020.

1. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Hello everyone, it has been sometime since I have posted regarding this. The house I moved into had an old Victorian style toilet with a high level cistern. I had some issues last year with various leaks which I have not had any issues with - thanks to all of you at the time. However, i'm back with a problem that the bloody thing is now not flushing, unless you seriously keep pulling the cord 100miles per hour around 10 times continuously.

I had a look inside but can't work why it's just gave up the ghost, could anyone give me any pointers to try and get it fixed please?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Syphon washer probs busted

verynewtothis likes this.
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Split diaphragm in the siphon.

4. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Ok, thanks for your replies. Because the toilet is old would screwfix stock something that would be easy to install? If possible could you recommend a siphon that would fit please?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the 'regular' old stylie siphon, as above, likely that the oval washer has split / perished
    Post a picture of the siphon, perhaps something like this ?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-dual-flush-siphon-95mm/460fy

Need to check height of your siphon and possibly its single flush ? but could change to dual flush, handy for just a No. 1 :)

Loads of designs of siphons available but they all do the same thing and many are interchangeable

If yours is above type, easy to change the washer but will have to shut off water to cistern, drain, remove siphon and take a apart but, its simple really

Can't see the washers on SF but here they are from T Stn

https://www.toolstation.com/oval-syphon-diaphragm-washer/p71576

Can trim to size if needed or some peeps say you can make your own from thick polythene

Anyway, post a picture from inside cistern, if you can, depends, may be close to ceiling ?

6. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Not sure, looks very old.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You can just replace the diaphragm in the existing siphon ,or fit a complete new siphon in its entirety.
    Either option requires the siphon to be removed from the cistern.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep all standard stuff ,,,, basic siphon, link to diaphragms I gave will fit (may require a little trim to fit, maybe not)

Ok, it’s not flushing but as long as flush handle springs back, there’s nothing else to go wrong, so it will be a damaged diaphragm (body of siphon could be cracked but that’s a long shot)

Either simply replace diaphragm or for around a fiver, fit a new siphon and this will give you dual flush so water saving

Flush and hold down lever for a few seconds for half flush

Flush and let go for full flush

Some siphons come with a label you can stick somewhere so it’s a reminder (don’t look brilliant though)

Those in the house, just tell them a hundred times until it sinks in :)

It’s no more work changing the diaphragm compared to fitting a new siphon

Take a look on YouTube for guidance in fitting - no point me banging on ! But even with limited plumbing experience (you perhaps ?) it’s easy

Just check height of fitted syphon and match to new unit, if your going this option. Some siphons are adjustable height so takes care of this issue

That’s it

Plumbing merchants may sell the diaphragms individually - but I don’t know

You can upgrade to a well designed siphon - Dudley Turbo, superbly engineered, can be serviced without full removal, Rolls Royce kinda quality but the basic no frills one uv got has probably lasted 50 years or so so either repair or change for same type

There you go - several options

9. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Awesome, cheers for the info Dave. Will definitely do it myself so thanks for your help on this one.

DIYDave. likes this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

As others have said - cut a new diaphragm out of some reasonably tough polythene. You'll see when you get into it. It's unlikely you'll need to do anything else. It's often a cheap and satisfying fix because it costs you nowt and the improvement is a revelation.

11. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I'd definitely fit a new 'quick release' syphon while you've got the current one out. Yes, you can repair it, but with the quick release one, next time it will only take you a couple of minutes and you won't need to undo the syphon from the flush pipe or even turn the water off.

I'd go for either the adjustable Dudley Turbo 88 as suggested above, or, if it won't fit (they can be slightly bigger than most - ie longer, not taller), a Turbo 44 ('D' shaped, you'll have to hunt for those) or a Derwent MacDee Metro 3 such as this. Various heights and shapes (oval, square, round, 'D') are available - look at your old one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DERWENT-...848563?hash=item3d685bc073:g:MVQAAOSwKRBbGZ-K

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Reminds me of a funny(ish) story. I cut the top off some wellys a few years ago to make short wellys so they were more comfy, and I kept the rings of rubber - (you know where this is going) - when the cistern stopped flushing, guess what I used! I get accused of keeping all sorts of carp and cluttering up the place in case it comes in "handy", and this has been my "defence" story with SWMBO for quite a while!.

BTW, the welly rubber was still working when we sold the house...

13. marthaneilson

marthaneilson New Member

You can simply supplant the stomach in the current siphon ,or fit a total new guide completely. Either choice requires the direct to be expelled from the reservoir.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Would you recommend local anaesthetic for the stomach supplant procedure ,or fully induced catatonic distensia ,always taking the risk of occlusion to the central nervous system ?

Mr Rusty and Joe the Plumber like this.
  15. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Ok, sorry but I have issues! I brought a turbo 88 9'' siphon at 205mm tall and tried to install this morning. The bloody thing is way to big (lengthwise) to fit into the oval shaped space in the base. The old siphon leaked on occasions and I can see why, it never fitted in the first place!

I have taken some photos, hopefully someone could point me the the right direction of a similar branded replacement. My pregnant mrs is livid and i'm in the doghouse!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your cistern is known as a " well bottomed cistern". Many conventional syphons will not fit into the well. You can get an extension piece which will raise the Syphon around 1 ¹/² inches ,so you need to establish if the lid will still close with the Syphon that you have purchased.
    Alternatively you can search for syphons for cisterns with well bottoms, be aware that many cistern variants exist and the sizes of the well are not consistent ,neither are the syphons made for them.

17. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Without knowing the actual width of that Syphon ,and the width of the well in your cistern ( from front to back ,and left to right) Your guess is as good as mine I'm afraid.

19. verynewtothis

verynewtothis Member

Ok, I brought a Dudley Turbo 44 ('D' shaped) one today, still doesn't fit in there! Tearing my hair out!

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Buy the extension piece as suggested in the earlier post above.
    It screws to the bottom of the Syphon ,thus extending the threaded bit and raising the valve. The big nut that holds the valve to cistern ,then actually screws onto the extension piece.