Another skirting question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mickman1234, Jul 21, 2020.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Anything heavy will do - a toolbox, flooring packs as you suggest, a plasterer's wallet...

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Cut an off cut of timber, or broom handle to push skirting from other side of hallway.

Ps. Don't trip over it.

[​IMG]

Wayners and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Don't overdo the foam. It will push out if not supported.

4. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

How much foam should I use ? Run one thin line at the top and bottom of skirting ?

thanks again

5. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

Another vote for Instastik. I usually fire a pin through a dab too. Weight against the skirt if it pushes away. Rarely screw skirting nowadays, unless its 9" softwood double sunk.

6. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

how much foam should I use ?

7. There is going to be a lot of work in the future for chippies, plugging and screwing all the glued on skirting that has fell off.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I just put tool box or something with a little weight against skirting for 10mins. Sometimes you don't need to, just check back after 5 mins and push home. Your only putting S line of foam at the back and will mostly finish expanding after a few mins and set. Just don't got mad with it. Treat it like no nails mastic. Deep fills of foam expand more for longer

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Try as you may you'll still not get us to argue like the sparkies. Unless of course Mr B Anal Sheds gets involved...

10. Not trying to argue Willy, I have fitted back enough of it that has fell off when asked on jobs.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget all these new fangled thingymadgegigs use 2" cut nails..................yoof of today know nufink! :rolleyes:

Hans_25 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. LEH

LEH Active Member

All the old skirts in my current house were put in with these, can verify they do not come out without a fight!

13. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

With all due respect, you're getting to the point where you're going to learn lot more through actually doing it than asking questions. It's apparent you're quite new to this sort of stuff, so I suggest you consider try the above methods using some scrap wood first to get an understand of what works and how to do it. No harm in doing it wrong first time, that's how you learn.
    Good luck

14. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

I agree, will test later today and let ye know how i get on - thanks all

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

There do seem to be differences of opinion, and I respect traditional methods and materials, however sometimes I can't see the point in persisting with traditional methods when new methods work as well. Wooden wedges, 2" cut nails and filler over the nail heads works, but so, in my experience, does foam. None of the skirts I have fitted with foam (first ones prob 10 years or so ago) have fallen off, nor is foam adhesive a material known to degrade significantly - quote from an scientific paper on science direct

I'll stick with foam. It works for me and I am totally fine if others disagree.

I-Man likes this.
  16. LEH

LEH Active Member

What's the argument for foam over a grab adhesive, out of interest?

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Grab adhesive is fine - sometimes better - I often use it where the wall is flat for archs and skirts. Foam is good when the wall is rough and there are gaps because it has gap filling properties grab adhesive doesn't. It will easily fill even a 30-40mm void

LEH likes this.
  18. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

No Nails or Grab adhesive work no problems.
    I even have some skirting with a bend in it. OK so not a bend, shall we say very uneven wall.
    Forget the nails, that's old hat. You just gotta move on. ;):)

Astramax likes this.
  19. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

B273DC3B-5609-49ED-88B9-36C6A82047DE.jpeg Hi all - progressing well with the foam - it works really well

one issue I have is that I have to cut using a jigsaw which is difficult , I can’t get access to a mitre saw . As you see in the photos the corner is poor , it’s ok in the photo as it’s behind a door but the next corner is visible so I want to avoid it happening again

any tips to avoid this ? Is it the jigsaw angle that’s at fault ?

Attached Files:

20. You do not need a jigsaw, all you need is a handsaw.