Roof truss repair advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Jul 11, 2020.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

2. pal123

pal123 Member

Could I use 18mm OSB board instead of 18mm plywood?

3. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Yeah but don't buy ply from B and Q its stupid money and their ply is s***, go to a builders merchant, use screws as last reply, I use glue as well, but its probably not needed but I always have some lying around, so for the sake of the amount needed I use it.
    I'd stick with ply.

4. pal123

pal123 Member

Travis Perkins sell a fair priced 18mm OSB board. I assume that before I screw the 18mm 300mmx300mm OSB gussett into place that I first remove the existing bent nail holding strip?

5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

I wouldn't use OSB stick with ply.
    Remove the steel plate so the ply sits tight,
    You can buy part boards at a builders merchant so you don't need a full sheet,

6. pal123

pal123 Member

How many screws should I use for attaching the 300 square ply to a 2"x3" bit of timber, say 4 or 8?

7. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Good question, I don't actually count them, but at least 16 I would say.

8. pal123

pal123 Member

16 screws per 300mm x 300mm ply attaching that to the 3"x2" compression strut? Surely that's a bit much, that will remove a lot of the compression strut wood, I was thinking more around 5-6

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Don't try to remove the plate: they are unbelievably difficult to get off. Ply will pull up happily with the plate in situ.

10. pal123

pal123 Member

Hi Stevie22. the existing nail plate/nail strip holding the compression strut to the diagonal is already deformed/bent from myself trying to hammer the nails back into the compression strut (photo at https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZS8oAkZDiqo3lF9nBLJMPcP2SXxdX0ITpy7).

Should I not remove this plate before using 2 x 300mm square 18mm plywood gussets to secure either side using screws?

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

"they are unbelievably difficult to get off"

You risk more disturbance of the structure for no gain.

Jord86 likes this.
  12. pal123

pal123 Member

Ok I will leave the existing nail plate on and not remove it.Can I attach a 300mm square plywood gussett on the same side as the existing nail plate? Surely I would have to drill through the existing nail plate and into the compression strut

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Clamp it, glue it, and screw it. Both sides. It's really as simple as that.

14. pal123

pal123 Member

What glue do I use?

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A polyurethane based glue such as joiners mate, gator glue or d4 egger.