Connecting a hose to my outdoor tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Claire Lawn, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Claire Lawn

Claire Lawn New Member

I am trying to connect a hose to my outdoor tap. I think the tap already has a converter on it. I have tried lots of limescale remover but I don't think it will be moving (if it even is a converter).
    Tap 1.jpg Tap 2.jpg Converter 1.jpg Hose 1.jpg
    My hose has a hoselock on it which I have successfully fitted, but the threaded tap connector is much too large.
    I have had a look online but cannot find anything that might be able to connect my tap (15mm diameter) to the hozelock.
    Can anyone suggest or recommend any such product?
    Thank you in advance.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You could do the following...
    Fit a new tap ( cost around 8£ or less)
    Dispense with the hose locks ,and fit hose directly to what you have ,using a jubilee clip ( also known as hose clamp)to secure it to the tap.

rogerk101 likes this.
  3. Claire Lawn

Claire Lawn New Member

Thank you for such a quick reply. I will have a look at buying some jubilee clips. Thank you again

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Your tap looks to be a 1/2 inch male thread.
    Your Hozelock connector comes with a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch adapter (the white thing screwed inside the yellow thing).
    It should all fit together perfectly.

There's a very slight chance your tap male thread is 3/8 inch, in which case you'd be better off changing the tap.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I don't think that old tap has a 1/2 inch thread Roger ,it's some baztard size as I recall.

6. Claire Lawn

Claire Lawn New Member

Unfortunately neither the 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch adapter fit.
    The hose does however fit on the end of the tap and with a jubilee clip should hold well hopefully.
    I had not thought about forgetting the adapters and simply attaching the hose to the tap. If this does not work well I can get the tap replaced.
    The tap is rarely used, I would just like to be able to attach a hose this weekend as we are borrowing a patio jet washer which requires it.
    Thanks for the replies all

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Happy jet washing Claire !!

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You could just have a short bit of hose with a coupling on the end so you can change and/or remove hoses easily.

rogerk101 and terrymac like this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you’ve tried to screw the yellow or white tap connectors onto the tap fitting thats on there now, as you’ve found out, they’re not only too large, but also not designed to fit into that fitting - it’s not threaded on the outsider, more tapered ridges that grip the hosepipe direct

You’ve tried limescale remover but was you just trying to undo by hand or have you got a pair of grips of some kind to get more force involved ? Also sounds obvious but trying to unscrew the right way ?

Could also try boiling water in a large mug, hold under tap so fitting is submerged into the boiling water - replace boiling water with more and hold under tap couple minutes - then use grips and unscrew - may well work (metal will be hot) !

Muzungu likes this.
  10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

+1 for the boiling water.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can even multi task and make a brew at the same time !

Just don’t dunk that manky old tap in your tea :eek:

Muzungu likes this.