Shower with diverter for unvented system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ianf, Aug 11, 2020.

1. ianf

ianf Member

Hi ,

I was about to buy a Mira Honesty shower system but noticed on the installation instructions that it says a flow restrictor MAY need to be fitted when flow is greater than 0.5 bar.

We have an unvented system and based on a test I did yesterday , we get 1.7 bar on one outlet (kitchen tap, near where the new shower will be) and 1.2 bar when we have another shower on.

I have also been looking at a Hansgrohe E 240 but there is different information on the internet and with Hansgrohe on this system. Minimum of 1.2 bar and 1.8 bar are mentioned in various places.

Will I have any issues with the Mira?

If so, can anyone recommend what would be a good similar system (exposed bar valve, 2 outlet shower) to suit our unvented system?

Thanks in advance.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No shower needs a flow restrictor with 0.5 bar. Are you sure it isn't 5.0 bar !!

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Mira is a well known and respected in the shower world :cool:

The shower manufacture does not know which pressure your existing plumbing installation operates at or your personal showering requirements,a flow restrictor on over head spray will reduce the water force hitting your head :D.

have the shower fitted and see how it goes,usually there is sufficient pressure reduction prior to the overhead shower spray and no further work is required.

TT

4. ianf

ianf Member

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Another example of manufacturers instructions being garbage.
    Probably a mis print !!
    Trust me ,0.5 bar is not even close to being " high pressure"
    Have a look at their operating pressures in the first paragraph . MAXIMUM. 5 bar !!!

6. ianf

ianf Member

Many thanks terrymac. Yes - and they wonder why us mere punters get confused.o_O

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'm guessing you got that directly from their manual, which just shows how ignorant their technical writers are.
    • Flow is measured in litres per minute, and is usually restricted by narrowing down the cross sectional area of the pipe through which the flow is happening.
    • Pressure is measured in bars, and is usually restricted with a pressure regulator or a pressure reducer.
    Saying that a flow restrictor may need to be fitted when flow is greater than 0.5 bar is completely meaningless. It's like saying I was driving at a speed of 5 gallons. :confused: