External steps size

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Louise27, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

Morning all

My first post so sorry in advance if I'm asking a daft question.

I've had some steps built to my front door and they aren't the same height. The top one is approx 64mm and the others are approx 186mm (see pic).

Are there regulations to say they should be uniform? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Attached Files:

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Uniformity is about the only thing that does matter. Different step heights present a real trip hazard and are a big problem for people who are a bit unsteady on their feet.

I’m not sure about regs but Approved Doc M might be a place to start. There was a thread on here a couple of months back about stairs. Have a look for that as there might have been references to the regs and I imagine stairs and steps would be at least related.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Louise27 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Alterations to stairs, steps etc are not classed as a material alteration for the purpose of Building Regulations. Commenting solely on the statutory legalities you have not contravened any regulations. However if this were a new build property, B Regs would apply as the overall rise is over 600mm.. All steps should be uniform, a single wrong step represents a significant trip hazard.
    Here's a link to a famous out of sync one

If this were new build subject to B Regs I would also expect to see handrails on both side in accordance part k
    Link to approved document K
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/443181/BR_PDF_AD_K_2013.pdf

4. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

NHBC standards 2020, S 10.2.5: “external steps that are not considered under building regulations should ... be reasonably uniform”

Also if above 600mm high should have a guardrail/handrail.

5. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

Thank you both for your replies, you've really helped. I forgot to mention that the handrails are being installed soon!

The guys who built the steps were adamant that they wouldn't do the work unless they included the 900mm landing, as this was the regulations. So, unless the landing is a separate issue from the step size, it seems odd they have stuck to some regs and not others...

6. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Just to note, the NHBC standards are not regulations. They are a code of practice that members sign up to. Having said that, it would be accepted as industry standard practice and your builder (even if not a member) would need a good reason why they deviated from that.

7. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

Ah thank you. I don't know the lingo so that's useful to know too :)

8. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

The landing should be at least the same as the width of the staircase, the regs do not actually specify a minimum size although most domestic stairs are usually around 900mm.

Louise27 likes this.
  9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

IMHO the top course of brick is surplus to requirements, just saying :)

10. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

I did wonder that too. Thanks :)

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

My eye agrees with Abrickie's about the top step.

This is not good work in my view: steps would look better wider and a tradesman with any pride in his work would have evened up the rises.

Louise27 likes this.
  12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Just noticed ( bigger screen and glasses on) the fools have blocked the airbricks :rolleyes:

13. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

What does that mean? Should I be concerned?

14. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Air bricks are installed for a reason, unless the property has been altered so as to render them redundant restricting the air flow is not good practice. Also the stone on the right of the top step/landing really needs altering not just so the overhang looks like the rest but because rather than throwing water off the brickwork it’s letting it run onto the face of the brickwork.

15. Louise27

Louise27 New Member

Thanks for explaining. I think I need to have a word with them don't I...

They also put the white pebbles in before they finished the paving/pointing so now there are black bits in it. Not *quite* as serious as the steps but annoying nonetheless :confused:

16. What they have built is completely wrong and about face. All steps need to have the same rise, except the bottom one which can be smaller. The bottom step should be smaller not the top.

17. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

No, if you apply the B regs, ALL risers and goings MUST be the same.

18. It has been an accepted practice for as long as I know. You will see loads of outside steps with the bottom rise smaller.

19. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Not on any job I've inspected, for info B Regs are not normally applicable on steps with a rise of less than 600mm. On anything over 600mm with non uniform steps you'd be pulling them out and rebuilding them before I'd pass them.

20. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Take the top course off and build the last (smaller) step next to door opening if you are looking to “fix” this issue. That way it won’t be so obvious as it is away from the other steps, and less of a trip hazard.